Author Topic: Yenko ZL1 427  (Read 9115 times)

sbaustin

• View Profile
Yenko ZL1 427
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
I bought a red 69 Camaro with the Yenko ZL1 engine on ebay 4 years ago.  I have the documentation from Don Yenko -- it is real, manufactured by Yenko.  I have been restoring it for the past 4 years, have gotten to the point of installing the alternator.  Here's my challenge:

Alternator for 69 Camaros was on the passenger side.  This includes a (real) ZL1 and Yenko Copo 427.  However, the Yenko manufactured ZL1 included a short shaft aluminum water pump (available only 67-68).  If I stay with the short shaft aluminum water pump, I have to put the alternator on the driver's side which would technically be incorrect for a 69 Camaro.  To put the alternator on the passenger side, I would have to install a long shaft (non-aluminum) water pump. 

I realize Yenko did quite a bit of his own fabrication, had no standard rules, just looking to keep the car as correct as possible.  Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

jonboy1216

• View Profile
Re: Yenko ZL1 427
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:59:10 AM »
are you sure about the car ?im curious because i thought fred gibb had the 69 zl1s built and then chevrolet sent the ones he didnt keep to other dealerships.that being said yours would have the alt. setup that the other 68 had to be correct.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »
Of the 69 factory-built ZL-1s the first two [12E] had long-style coolant pumps cast in aluminum. In the interim durability problems came to light and the remainder of the production run [02D & later] used the standard long iron pump painted black. Shortly thereafter the long aluminum pump was re-released.

Both are still around and since there is no "correct" with the car, use either.
Learning more and more about less and less...

sbaustin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:02:36 AM »
Thank you.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:25:19 AM »
The ZL1 block that Yenko had cast was done in the 70's.  A Yenko ZL1 block could not have been originally installed in a 69 Camaro.
I'd use the long w/p. :)
Kurt S
CRG

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Is there a date on your paperwork?

Yenko was selling both ZL1 and Can Am alu blocks and other Chevy hi po parts into the mid 1980's.

Yenko Chevrolet became Sun Chevrolet in 1981 but Yenko still had a Yenko Perfromance shop selling hi po parts out of the old Canonsburg, PA. Chevy dealer building which was still owned by the Yenko's.

There is a new version of the Mark G. Yenko book coming out soon that will have more info on the Yenko alu blocks.

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »
Wasn't most of them blocks used in boats? They had 2-3 different yenko logos on the front of the block also,right Joe??

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
There were a bunch of different Yenko alu blocks. Some had "YENKO" in block letters cast in, some had a Yenko crest cast in, some had no Yenko ID, some had water jacket, some were solid blocks, and other different designs. They were used in boats, drag, sprint, road racing etc. They were also working on an alu V6 but don't know if that project was completed.

I believe there were at least two different companys used for casting and two different companys used for machining as Yenko changed the vendors over the years.

Warren D., the Yenko employee who as original paperwork from Yenko Chev, has a bunch of stuff on the alu blocks. Mark G. is working on putting this into together for a new book. They have receipts showing some big names in all forms of racing.
He has receipts for A J Foyt, Pat Musi and others

I have some pictures, Yenko ads, and old magazine articles on engine builds using Yenko blocks.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »
Bill Porterfield sent me pics of a Yenko block. He took them while picking up the # 1 ZL1. Was cast by Lockport Casting..LC in the snowflake.

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »
There were a bunch of different Yenko alu blocks. Some had "YENKO" in block letters cast in, some had a Yenko crest cast in, some had no Yenko ID, some had water jacket, some were solid blocks, and other different designs. They were used in boats, drag, sprint, road racing etc. They were also working on an alu V6 but don't know if that project was completed.

I believe there were at least two different companys used for casting and two different companys used for machining as Yenko changed the vendors over the years.

Warren D., the Yenko employee who as original paperwork from Yenko Chev, has a bunch of stuff on the alu blocks. Mark G. is working on putting this into together for a new book. They have receipts showing some big names in all forms of racing.
He has receipts for A J Foyt, Pat Musi and others

I have some pictures, Yenko ads, and old magazine articles on engine builds using Yenko blocks.

How could I learn more about who Mark G is and how do I get some insight on who got those blocks?  I have a 052 casting by yenko (stamped letters in the timing cover area only, no crests and no dates, no snowflake).  Bill Porterfield and Ed Cunneen have helped me a lot already, but sounds like there are more records out there?

Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

anything