Author Topic: LOOKING FOR THIS CHASSIS 124378L324481  (Read 3975 times)

camarokid73

• View Profile
LOOKING FOR THIS CHASSIS 124378L324481
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:37:53 PM »
Hello All,
 I am currently looking to recover my old '68 Camaro. It wasn't anything special but it was special to me. I have been trying to locate this car for over 10 years now and finally got the VIN from Texas... long story short, the car was wrecked in Ohio in 1993 and has been sold at least twice since then. I had lost all my docs with a VIN and spent most of this time trying to track that down.
 Specs on the vehicle. It was last sold in the New Riegle Ohio area in 1997/1998. The guy who sold it was Ben Schetter (or Shetter). It would have had a Texas title at the time and been missing all the sheet metal forward of the doors. The rest of the body was solid. It was an original AC car, bench seat and had a 3 on the tree originally. At the time of the accident, it had a small block in it and a Powerglide.
 I am currently stationed overseas and due to retire from the Marines in about a year and a half. I would really love to find this car before I retire so I can build it up during my retirement.
 If anyone knows where this car is, please contact me.

Thanks for all your help in advance

Craig

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: LOOKING FOR THIS CHASSIS 124378L324481
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
Craig,

You should check the orphans section occasionally as well as google the vin number.  Good hunting!

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

elcamino72

• View Profile
    • More Information on Camaro Fraud
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
I suggest that you run that VIN through the Department of Justice National Motor Vehicle Title Information system and then submit a request for vehicle title history for whatever state the vehicle shows up in.  This will give you the current owners name/address, but beware, there are restrictions on how/if you can contact the owner with the information you receive from the DMV.  Read the form carefully.

You should have no problem finding the owner this way.  Please let us know what you find out.

camarokid73

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a shot as well.
If I ever find this car and the owner is willing to part with it, I plan on starting a website so all of you who are assisting me can follow it's progress. I know the car may be crushed/lost or even already restored, but I have plans of my own for it should I ever recover it.

Thanks

Craig

camarokid73

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Hey guys! It seems I have located the last known owner of the car and it is only 33 miles from the last place I saw it! My buddy ran the VIN through the national registry and found the last known registration details. Seems the car was on the road as recently as 2008 and registered in Findlay Ohio. The owner has a listed number in the white pages.
My buddy gave him a call and had to leave a message. I am now playing the waiting game to see if he calls back and if he does, if he still has the car...
Wish me luck and I will keep everyone posted.

Craig

elcamino72

• View Profile
    • More Information on Camaro Fraud
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
Keep us updated!

camarokid73

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »
OK... the car has been found and is not for sale. It now has a 396 and a four speed and is painted Victory Red. It still has the original bench seat and I am going to meet the new owner and visit the car in August. I want to thank everyone for the help and effort. I plan on staying in very close contact with Joe, the new owner just in case he should ever change his mind about selling the car.

Craig