Author Topic: How do you remove the headlight switch knob?  (Read 13241 times)

ibrockn

• View Profile
How do you remove the headlight switch knob?
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:29:36 PM »
I'm suspecting a problem with my 68 headlight switch. The dash lights do not come on and when I turn the dash dimmer switch to high, both signal light indicators come on and the gas gauge loses power and moves to empty.

I want to remove the switch so I can unplug the wires to it, but I don't know how to get the know off and I'm afraid I'm going to break it.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: How do you remove the headlight switch knob?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:32:55 AM »
 In the last year this has been posted several times.   Go back and search, you will surprized of the questions that are asked over, and over.   The knowledge you gain from reading  posts in the old forum is great. I suggest all the new members spend some time in it.           ;)

Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »
There's a little spring-loaded plunger protruding from the metal portion of the switch body; press the plunger in and the knob/shaft will pull right out, then you can remove the switch.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 02:58:52 PM »
...and when you try it - be prepared to exercise a little patience.  On more than one occassion, I've seen the shaft that the knob is attached to not release from the switch simply by depressing the spring loaded plunger on the bottom.  Be prepared to have to wiggle and coax the shaft.  Not unusual for it to be slightly stuck after all of these years and to be a little difficult in getting out.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

67RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »
Im having the same problem with my 67 convertible

"I'm suspecting a problem with my 68 headlight switch. The dash lights do not come on and when I turn the dash dimmer switch to high, both signal light indicators come on and the gas gauge loses power and moves to empty".

I freshened up the dash circuit board and the light bulbs but still have the issue as stated above.
Any suggestions??

Thanks, Dan

67RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »
I fixed the problem tonight. I was missing a gnd coming off the high beam assembly.

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 03:34:13 PM »
here is a pic for future reference  the RS in 68 & 69 had the hose bibs, the non RS cars didnt have those, otherwise the switches are the same. :)

Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

anything