Author Topic: What is the best way to strip Front Coil springs?  (Read 2711 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
What is the best way to strip Front Coil springs?
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
   I am doing a cpmplete restoration of my early (no holes) Sub-frame.  What is the best way to strip my front Coil springs.  I have been told that sandblasting will take tempering out of the spring, is this true?   Will chemical stripping hamper the tempering?  These are the originals, and the car sat good prior to dismantling.  I don't think they have "weakened" over the years.  Thanks for any advice!!!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: What is the best way to strip Front Coil springs?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »
The only way to take temper out of steel is to heat it.  Sandblasting would not do this unless you hold the blast in one place long enough for it to get hot. Sweeping motion when blasting dosen't get that hot but I have seen people hold it on a stubborn spot of rust til it will eat thru the metal. Biggest thing to remember is to keep it moving and come back to those stubborn spots maybe 2,3,or 4 times but never just hold it there for any lenght of time. You should make this clear to whoever does it if you don't do it yourself and maybe stay with your pieces if need be.

Daniel
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

anything