Author Topic: 1967 Camaro rear antenna  (Read 11078 times)

adjudimo

• View Profile
1967 Camaro rear antenna
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:39:07 AM »
My '67 SS/RS came with AM radio and (U37 ) rear antenna. I will be changing the unit out to a AM/FM unit with ipod, etc. What should be done to help the FM reception? I have read that the longer length antenna cable causes much static and that is why GM only put AM's in these cars. I like the rear mount personally and don't want to alter the factory panels in any way. The sheet metal is all original to the car with no rust or damage anywhere. Hope you have a thought/opinion on this issue. Thanks

adjudimo

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Camaro rear antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:59:26 AM »
Sorry, I wrote U37 and I meant to type U73 RPO.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »
I'd just hook it up.
IIRC, Firebird was available with the rear FM antennae.
Kurt S
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »
To elaborate on what Kurt said (that the 'Bird came with a rear FM antenna), it wasn't a "fixed mast" antenna like the Camaro FM antenna! Both the AM and the AM/FM radios in the 67-68 Firebird used the same three section manual telescoping antenna! "Normal" mounting position was on the front fender (like the Camaro), while optionally (RPO 381) you could have it installed on the rear fender.

Late in the 1969 model year, the factory discontinued the manual rear telescoping antenna and went to a three section POWER antenna, also RPO 381. (Here's a picture of the WINDOW STICKER and a picture of the SHIPPER showing the option, and a picture of the CAR itself.)

HERE'S a great link to the 1968 Firebird Sales manual, with the specific antenna option page HERE.

Also, a GREAT First Generation Firebird FAQ PAGE with specific info on the antennas HERE.

I've also attached a picture (below) of a 67 'Bird with the rear manual rear antenna.

The three section telescoping antenna may have been the key to "tuning" the antenna so noise could be kept to a minimum, so I agree with Kurt. Just hook it up and see what you get.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:42:23 PM by bertfam »

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
bertfam doesnt the antenna hit the rear spoiler when the trunk lid is lifted?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »
That's a Camaro spoiler has been added to this car. Spoilers weren't a factory option for the 67-68 'Bird.

Although only available on the 69 Firebird Trans Am, it was a different style like THIS ONE.

Ed

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »
Thank you for the info.. bertfam. I will try the antenna I have. If I do have to change it out, do you know of a descent replacement antenna company? I would actually like to go with a power telescoping antenna anyway. Put my old one in the "ole" storage foot locker, just so I will have it later when, if needed. Thank you guys for your help and interest.

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
The difference between an AM and AM/FM antenna is their mast length. The reason is simple. The FM signal has a wave length of 31 inches. That's why AM/FM radios came with fixed length masts that were exactly 31" long. It's also due to the fact that FM is frequency modulated and receives the signal different than AM. AM, because it is amplitude modulated, has a much longer wave length but the exact length can't be fixed because the station you select will determine the exact length of the antenna mast. You had to adjust the mast to get the best reception for your particular favorite station and that is why the mast was telescoping.

If you ordered the AM/FM combo then the mast had to be 31" long to accommodate the FM signal and the AM reception used a nominal length that worked, for the most part, well enough to receive the stronger station signals.

With the prevelance of FM radios beginning in the 1970s telescoping masts became a thing of the past as the FM receiver required fixed length masts of 31" in order to work well.

The length of the cable connecting the mast to the radio has no effect on static as the cable is insulated like modern coaxial cable in cable TVs.  In fact, the rear mounted antenna mast is a better location for eliminating EFI than the front mounted mast. The further away from the ignition the mast is the better the chance of eliminating "noise" from the radio.
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Jrschev, What you said makes sense, and you are right. Telescoping masts haven't been around for years. I have considered one of the 31" fixed masts also. I may just go with the fixed 31". But, I haven't totally ruled out a power antenna all together yet. I will put a new cable in when I do the stereo install. I had found a few nicks and skinned areas in the insulation and a couple are a little deeper than I like. I am currently waiting on sound deadening to arrive and I need to take care of that before I run any wires. Appreciate your help, Thanks! JR

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
That last sentence was supposed to say EMI rather than EFI. Fat fingers on a lap top.  :-[ 

EMI is Electrical Magnetic Interference. EMI comes from magnetic fields which come from conductors carrying electrical current such as your spark plug wires or the overhead transmission lines in your neighborhood. This really drives AM signals nuts. Does not have so much of an effect on FM signals due to the frequency they are transmitted at.

One more thing I forgot to mention in regard to this is that your radio has an "antenna trimmer" adjustment which I believe is located under the RH tuning shaft. This was for fine tuning of mast length to give optimum reception. It is a little tiny screw that you turned while tuned to a station. You adjusted it for the best sound (signal strength)

Another interesting thing about AM/FM radios in 1st gen Camaros (or any car for that matter) is that the majority of cars that came equipped with these were sold in large metropolitan areas. Here in the North East FM broadcast was rare. I remember only one station that broadcast FM in the late 60s which explains the rarity of factory installed AM/FM radios. However, if you look at places like Southern California, FM was fairly popular in the late 60s so it was not unusual for cars to be factory equipped. Cars sold in smaller demographics rarely had them. I remember my father buying a brand new 1969 Impala and it had an AM radio with a separate eight track player that hung under the RH dash. I thought that was the most incredible thing I had ever seen. I used to sit in the car in the garage playing the eight track! Those were the days  :)
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 04:55:16 AM »
I remember those days as well. My father traded for a new car at least every two years and sometimes more often if he decided the car he bought wasn't what he thought it would or should be. I remember the eight track, heck I've even owned them. Still have a Pioneer 8 track FM Supertuner and recently hooked it up to a battery, stuck in a tape (yes, I still have a tape box full of ZZ Top Grand Funk, BTO and such) He liked the eight track so well, he bought a Lear-Jet 8 track and put it in his truck. I am not positive, but I believe Lear-Jet made the first after market systems. Been too long ago to know for sure. I will more than likely go with either a 31" FM masts or get a good brand power telescoping antenna and put my original in the keeper pile. I'm leaning more toward the telescoping, I think.