Author Topic: big block chrome valve covers...  (Read 4578 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
big block chrome valve covers...
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out some issues with a pair of original big block chrome valve covers I have, with a couple of main questions:
1) drippers or non drippers?   When did that change happen?  When were non-drippers used?
2) the 'sloped corner'... was this for power brake cars? or ??

This current ebay listing confuses me a bit...  as I'm not sure what to believe..  are his claims true?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191192406205&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: big block chrome valve covers...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:33:29 PM »
All 67-69 Camaro bbc valve covers have/had the drippers.  The slanted corner like the ones you see that are repops are not for Camaro.  The original drivers cover on Camaro, Nova and Chevelle had a very slight slant front back to front and had a notch or kickout for the rocker stud. 

Here is some good info.

http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »
If you are looking for excellent pretty much exact reproductions, Cranes Corvette has really nice ones.   Expensive, but pretty much exact.  He makes specific versions for all the applications.   I bought a set for my Chevelle. 

http://www.cranescorvette.com/pr02.htm

https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:09 PM »
  If you are looking to get correct covers then I recommend Crane Corvettes who have exact reproductions for all years including the left side rear slope AND correct wire loom stand locations. Most of the cheap covers have the wire loom stands in the wrong location on the left side and it usually hits the windshield wiper motor on Camaros. I bought the Crane repros.  for my current restoration and when comparing them to the old original rusty covers I have, they are exact in every detail right down to the 'z' lip that separates them from the Chinese clones. The slope didn't matter if it had PB or not.  Also, they advertise the covers get full points for NCRS judging. I'm not having my car judged but it does give an indication of their (Crane Corvettes) confidence they are correct. The cost for replating would be as high as getting these repros. The deciding factor was if the replated ones were not to my liking, I was stuck with them. At least for the reproductions you can send them back and get another set. I got mine on eBay when they had a 10% off sale.
  That add looks like covers for a Chevelle only. I doubt they are Chinese copies because the edges have the 'z' lip not normally found on Chinese copies (yet).

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »
The ones I have are seemingly 'factory original' for something, but do not have the drippers.  They are chrome, have the slant cut corner and had factory stickers.  The CRG website says all '67-69 Camaro BB valve covers had drippers..  so the ones I have are apparently NOT for a Camaro..?

From the Crane website, the only reference I could find to 'non drippers' is this:  "BASE ENGINE HAS NO DRIPPERS-ON PASS. CARS.. "

Which passenger cars, and which years, had a big block as a 'base engine'?   SS-396 Impalas from '65-66 time frame? or ???

PS.  I'm not a 'big block' guy; I bought these for a friend at a swap meet because I thought they were rare and original, and a decent price, but he told me they weren't correct for his car  (he needed drippers)..  so now I'm trying to figure out what I have so I can pass them to someone who can use them and recoup my $$.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan