Poll

restore or not

restore
7 (100%)
not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: palomino convertible  (Read 6883 times)

tinman75

• 1968 ash gold rs-ss
    • View Profile
palomino convertible
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
 Just finished a full restoation on my ash gold L48 rs-ss and I was looking for another project as just a fun driver and came across a 68 convertible 327 that needs work. Well, I bought it. Turns out it had the original 327 and drivetrain, deluxe houndstooth, and the paint code was "T" palomino ivory. I know it was a rare color, yet alone bein in a drop top. Now I am at a crossroads of doing another full restoration to it or making it a toy. just wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: palomino convertible
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »
Was houndstooth available with the vert in '68?

-Mark.

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »
No, houndstooth was not available in the convertible in 68.

Mike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

tinman75

• 1968 ash gold rs-ss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
WOW! thanks for the info, it has houndstooth seats in it now I never looked up the trim #'s to double check that. I went and looked and it was 721 GOLD custom buckets. What was that guy smokin? Ivory with black top and gold interior?
here is the tag.
02A             c121
6812467   LOS   775
721           T-2

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
Not a huge deal about the seats in my opinion. The purists will have issue with restorations with changed interior and such but that is a personal decision. It sounds rather striking as it is now. You could restore it with the current combination and only a true early Camaro freak is going to know the interior is not original. 99% of the casual car show "experts" will never catch that.

My '69 was a rather rare and unattractive color combination when it was first born. Rally Green with a Medium Green Deluxe comfort weave interior, White stripes and no spoilers. UGG-LEEY! The interior was already 80% swapped over to black or spray dyed when I got it way back in the late 70's. Medium green interior parts are not available anywhere so going back to original was not an option. Having the colors wrong can hurt you at resale time but an original (but unattractive) color combo hurts you as well. Choose your poison there. I will not be selling any time soon so it is not a concern for me. I went from Green on Green to Blue with Houndstooth and never looked back.

Rare and interesting original combinations? - yes. Restore it back to colors you don't enjoy? - No way.

-Mark.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
WOW! thanks for the info, it has houndstooth seats in it now I never looked up the trim #'s to double check that. I went and looked and it was 721 GOLD custom buckets. What was that guy smokin? Ivory with black top and gold interior?

Oh that color combo restored is absolutely beautiful! There was one here locally (haven't seen it in a few years) with the mag style wheelcovers, white walls, and black bumblebee stripe. I had a chance to buy it in 1991 for $6500 and I passed on it because it was not an SS. Man was I dumb! Personally I would restore it to have a fun driver, maybe put a period correct set of wheels on it, and I would definitely put it back with the color combo it came with. You will get lots of attention with it in those colors because they are not normally seen at shows or cruise nights. JMO...........................RatPack.............................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
I agree. Ivory, black and gold is much more interesting to me than Ivory, black and white. That's like B&W TV versus color. No contest.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

tinman75

• 1968 ash gold rs-ss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
Thank for your opinion everyone!
I am still not sure, I got some metal to put on it so I have a little time to think about it but I am kinda leaning to its original colors. I just wish I could see the finished look. I did a seach on any car with that combo and did not find anything.
keep the opinions coming.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
Buy a plastic model, and paint it up.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
Wow a friend of mine has a 68 Z with the exact same color combo...
Palomino Ivory, Gold int and Black roof.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything