Author Topic: Color Help  (Read 3734 times)

scearcj2

• View Profile
Color Help
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »
I am having a 69 Camaro restored and the original color is Cortez Silver (69 PNT) but I ran across a paint that I really liked.  I called the shop that restored the car and they politely told me that since they were a Custom Shop they do no share paint codes even if they were to paint my car.  And they are in Canada so that is out of the question since I am in Virginia.

I was hoping that someone could give me a best guess as to what color you think this may be.  There are several photos on the link and some look close to Cortez but I wanted to try and get as close as I could to this color with my car.

Here is the link for the car.  
http://theirongarage.com/project318308.php

Thanks so much for your help.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Color Help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
That color matches the factory color on my 1986 Chevrolet Silverado K10 pickup.  I think Chevrolet calls it "steel gray metallic".    :)

Paul

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:08:44 PM »
Paul's correct.They are similar. However, the metallic and pearl in it may be different. On screen colors are impossible to judge with accuracy. I can take the same color and tweak it with any of my HOK additives and they would appear the same on line. But side by side in person it would be night and day. Even similar factory colors appear close but the metallic size and quanity in the mix is not represented through the lens. You may like the "color" but dislike the amount of flake or pearl, size and quanity. Best to see a bunch of samples in person in direct sunlight or full spectrum lighting.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:45:31 PM by Sauron327 »

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
I took one of my cars to a paint supply house and they set a special digital camera on the fender and then connected it to a computer and it analized the make up. He even had a Dupont and another brand camera and the makeups were slightly different. We mixed a pint of each and did some test cards. The other brand matched perfect. Once I got the code we sprayed base coat clear coat. I even later used that code for some touch up acrylic enamel. Of course to do this you need the car and not a picture to do it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 07:22:46 AM »
This color looks like the shade of gray metallic that came on a 1980 Mazda RX7. I bought one of these for my wife when they first come out since  she fell in love with it. I bought a 5 speed and then taught her to drive the stick shift. She was a natural. . Check Mazda out. It may, or may not; be what your looking for. Good luck!

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »
By the way, this was a limited edition color for that year.