Author Topic: Weather shield sealant  (Read 3969 times)

L22K19

• View Profile
Weather shield sealant
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
Can any body advise what the original grey sealant / caulking is for the paper weather shields behind the door and rear side trims. It appears to be used in a number of places around the body.

Thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Weather shield sealant
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
Can any body advise what the original grey sealant / caulking is for the paper weather shields behind the door and rear side trims. It appears to be used in a number of places around the body.

Thanks

The closest current equivalent material is 3M "Strip-Calk", available at any auto body/paint supply store; you'll find a similar material at Lowe's/Home Depot in the door/window weatherstrip section.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:19 AM »
For the black dum dum putty, use electrical service caulk (in a brick) used for sealing where home service wire goes into the meter box.  

L22K19

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:50:48 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I checked both of these products out and the 3M one is only available in Black and can't find anybody close by that has the other one in stock.

Originally I stated that my car had grey caulking, but it is fact off white.  I found some off white caulking compound today at the hardware store. I've been in the auto industry restoring cars for 30 years and never seen it availalble in off white. I guess I learnt something today.