Author Topic: 10 bolt rebuild  (Read 4939 times)

bc69

• View Profile
10 bolt rebuild
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:00:14 AM »
Looking for specs in forum for setting up 8.2 with new eaton posi, bearings, and  r/p.
I know there was something on here but I can't find it.
Any help out there................? Thanks
Brad
RSSS

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 10 bolt rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »
Looking for specs in forum for setting up 8.2 with new eaton posi, bearings, and  r/p.
I know there was something on here but I can't find it.
Any help out there................? Thanks

I don't recall any overhaul specs here on this site, but the detailed procedure and setup specs are in Section 4 of the Chassis Overhaul Manual.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »
Here's a link that will give you an idea of what you're in for.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0207_10_bolt_rearend_gear_install/index.html

My differential is in bad need of a rebuild and I'm considering doing it soon. My biggest problem is that I don't have access to a lift anymore. Has anyone ever done one with the car on jackstands? Is it worth the trouble to roll the entire housing out from under the car to do it?

Mike.

68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
Just my opinion but I would build it in the car.  I have probably built a 100 with it in the car. It's more work to pull the housing than to rebuild it after you get it out. I will add if you don't have the right tools to set it up don't fool with it.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:06:10 AM »
I've worked as a toolmaker and machininst and auto mechanic in previous lives and I have dial indicators and measuring tools and thirty years of mechanics tools that I've collected. What I'm missing is an inch-pound torque wrench, a lift and a press to press the bearings. I've read instructions and it all looks pretty straight forward except for the part about shimming the gears properly using grease rub patterns. That seems a little like voodoo to me.

On the other hand I have a reputable place that will do it for about $450 labor which seems fair to me and I can't picture me doing it laying on the floor.

Mike.

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:45:01 AM »
Know what I'm in for. Have rebuilt a few, not that many from scratch like this one. No big deal and not afraid to tackle.  Just thought somebody had specs for 8.2 handy.
As for my thoughts on rebuilding on car.....if your still limber enough and like laying on your back, twisting, turning and working out cramps, then attempting to find enough room and leverage to set preload,,, I say go for it. Myself, was changing springs and powder coating housing. After many years climbing under, over and around, like it as easy as  possible.
BC
Brad
RSSS

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
Mike this link should get you thru the grease.  Read and PM me if you need addtional help.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ring_and_pinions/ring_and_pinion_installation_instructions.html

Daniel
Daniel  

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:12:45 AM »
Daniel:

Thanks - that's a nice link and it already has cleared up a few things for me....there's a lot of information there.

I think that I get the big picture now but correct me if I'm wrong:

Install the pinion gear with the old shim - no crush washer yet
Install the carrier - shimming it until the backlash is correct  (~10)
Adjust pinion shim if necessary, set backlash, read rub marks and repeat until pinion is located correctly according to rub marks
Torque pinion nut with crush washer installed
Adjust carrier shims until backlash is correct again
Read rubs marks and adjust carrier shims until carrier is correct
Done

I'm starting to feel that this is do-able but the car is at the body shop and I won't have it back until April or May.  Just as well, it'll be warmer out there by then.

Mike.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »
That should get you on the road Mike.  It's not hard just a little tedious and time consuming especially your first. Biggest thing is don't rush yourself. If it gets on your nerves lay it down and come back to it. Again PM if I can help.

Daniel
Daniel  

anything