Author Topic: replacing heater core  (Read 8597 times)

GordonOne

• View Profile
replacing heater core
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:34:54 AM »
How hard is it to replace the heater core in a 69 factory air car?.......should i just remove the whole system ? and if  i do, i heard the fender has to come off ???  the system has not worked since 1984.......the compressor is off the dryer etc, etc, so.....is it worth the trouble and $$$$$ money to get it back to factory. ??? thanks any info most appeciated, Gordon

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: replacing heater core
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
I would spend a few bucks and a little elbo grease to put it back.  It's not a hard job but it is time consuming.  If you want to do it yourself there is no high dollar tools you need just your basic set will get you by.  And to me  it's always worth the money to put it back to "factory".
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
A/C car may be different than the non-A/C car but it worked for me. You may be able to separate the outer fender from the inner fender and block it open with a piece of wood rather than pull the whole fender off. Loosten the lower fender to body bolts and the inner-outer fender well screws. Then see if that will get you in there. 

I think I used bolts and clip nuts in place of the original studs when the heater box went back together but that was a lot of years ago. Makes it easy to service if you ever have to go back in there again. I would only do that to the difficult to reach studs.

Hope this is helpfull.

-Mark.

GordonOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »
thanks, guys....im sure not looking forward to it....but yes youre  right....i would want it to stay all factory......i know its something like 44,737 69 camaros came with a/c that year.....thats not many ....compared to the 243,000 +  cars.....i always think to myself why or whom (dealer) would have ordered  this car......it has a/c,  tilt wheel, rear window de-fogger......but has standard interior with  at least the Z23 special interior group....this car is by the way a SS    L48  thm 350  standard 12 bolt non-posi.........cortez silver black vinyl top, rear spolier.....i guess what i mean is.....the price for the a/c.....could have bought the RS option and deluxe interior......strange how some things work.....but thanks again   Gordon

BILL69

• 69 Conv. auto/ ac/ ps/ pb/ pt LA built
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
I have a 69 Convertible with AC.    You can access the heater core hose connections as stated above with a wooden block.   I believe the whole job is much easier by removing the fender though.    It requires a lot of disassembly and some alignment when reassembling,  use masking tape to protect all edges,  and use a good quality heater core so you only have to do it once.   Good luck.
Be American   Buy American

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
Take the new heater core to a radilator shop and have it pressure-tested before you install it; don't ask how I learned this.  >:(
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
John is right about having the new one tested before you install it. It's a big let down once you get everything back together and find out the new one leaks.  Been there done that.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:03:10 AM »
I was taught something about 40 years ago .............. New means new, but new does not necessarily mean good.  This even has more meaning in this day and age with most of the parts (including GM) being produced offshore.

boston14
1969 RS/SS 350 Convert.
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 02:42:25 AM »
It's also a good idea to have a radiator shop build up the solder around the neck of the tubes for additional strength. Very easy to tweak them a little during installation and have a leak.
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP

mjbake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
Also be carful if you have the fender loose and open the passenger door...It can rub the fender and do the unthinkable to the paint. Don't ask how I know this. And yes get the core tested and built up a bit.
Mike
67 L30/M20
Convertible

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
It's also a good idea to have a radiator shop build up the solder around the neck of the tubes for additional strength. Very easy to tweak them a little during installation and have a leak.

That's a BIG 10-4
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed