Author Topic: A.I.R. (Smog) Systems  (Read 3105 times)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
A.I.R. (Smog) Systems
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:12:29 PM »
Hi. I would like to solicit comments from those of you that drive your cars with a stock, fully functional smog system. I've read that upon deceleration there can be a popping noise and back-firing. Is this correct in all cases and are there any other adverse effects? It's hard to imagine that this was acceptable. Thanks for any input.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: A.I.R. (Smog) Systems
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »
Hi. I would like to solicit comments from those of you that drive your cars with a stock, fully functional smog system. I've read that upon deceleration there can be a popping noise and back-firing. Is this correct in all cases and are there any other adverse effects? It's hard to imagine that this was acceptable. Thanks for any input.

"Popping" on decel/overrun is a classic symptom of a failed diaphragm in the diverter valve; when that diaphragm fails (and they all do after 20+ years), the valve defaults to full open, and air is pumped into the exhaust manifolds 100% of the time, causing the "popping" on overrun. The failed diaphragm also becomes a major vacuum leak through the signal hose from the carb to the diverter valve.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: A.I.R. (Smog) Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
The 67 system is much more problematic than the 68-9 system.
Kurt S
CRG

anything