Author Topic: Am I missing something on the privacy act??  (Read 4560 times)

rua69z

• View Profile
Am I missing something on the privacy act??
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »
I have been trying to contact the state of Minnesota to get the prior owners names of my car. I am quite sure it spent almost all of its life in the Minneapolis area. I called the state of Minnesota title company and told them I was looking for names of prior owners and I had the guys name I bought it from back in 2002 but lost his name and contact info. He owned it since 1975. Anyway the guy told me how does he know I did not want to cause "Ill Will" what does that even mean?
So I am watching TV this morning and scanning channels and see a commercial for a company who can do an entire background check on somebody and this is ok?
OK I am done but can anyone shed any light on the glorious state of Minnesota and how I may be able to obtain any data from them???
I have an original 69Z pre x code car and am almost ready to hit the road this spring. My apologies to all for ranting but jeez c'mon. Thanks Jim

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Am I missing something on the privacy act??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »
Google the name; check White Pages.com. Lots of free resources out there.

Check your attitude when dealing with the state. They don't owe you anything but MAY choose to help if you were pleasant in your request. Explain that you are researching the history of a vintage car.

Attitude matters. Attutude sells.
Learning more and more about less and less...

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »
Thanks Willaim for your post I have been in sales and DO understand how to "play the game" my attitude comes only after my conversations and is displayed only to this post. I am just frustrated! thanks again

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
sometimes going during the middle of the month when things are slow..go and talk to them one on one..the gals in Buffalo,MN are really nice, in Waconia 2 nice old Ladies...get to know your DMV people and they just might help you out...Scott

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
Scott
thanks my frustration is not the State of Minnesota I used to live in St. Cloud and Bloomington it is just the whole Homeland security thing. I just got back from flying to Minneapolis and watched a 89 year old lady have to throw her hand lotion bottle in the garbage and start crying because it was a gift from her grand daughter. I aslo witnessed and later spoke to a 84 year old man who was patted down behind closed walls. Guess what no bomb on either. After I started the thread I looked a little more close to other posts and realized I am not the only person who is facing this issue. My apologies if I offended anyone in Minnesota. I am just a car guy looking for past history on my car. thanks again!

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »
we now live in a HE IS A TERRORIST / SHE IS A TERRORIST / WHY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THAT PERSON ? /
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WORLD ,,,,,, my car was in new york I tryed to get previous owner's info IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN !
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »
I am just a car guy looking for past history on my car. thanks again!

...Add "so I can restore it to its original beauty" to your phrase, listen to William's comment about attitude, and be potitely persistent.  If you know sales, you know what I mean....
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
Yeah I know I appreciate you guys not coming down on me for my rant. I had a drink with my "buddy light" and understand it is not the people at the DMV locations who are putting a block on this. Several parts of my car have been all over the country for a quality restoration including half of my underhood components our east to Jerry M. I never prepared myself for this to be the hard part. I spent several hours on this site yesterday and read a lot of stuff from a great group of guys. I will take a breath put on my old sales shoes and go give my pitch to the fine people at the DMV's
What a great site!
Thanks for all your help

anything