Author Topic: block build date  (Read 3972 times)

pjbizjak

• View Profile
block build date
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »
OK, the blocks build date is usually about 2 weeks ahead of cowl tag date, what would the dates of the carburator, distributor, alternator etc be? Would they be closer to the block build date or the cowl date ?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: block build date
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
OK, the blocks build date is usually about 2 weeks ahead of cowl tag date, what would the dates of the carburator, distributor, alternator etc be? Would they be closer to the block build date or the cowl date ?

The distributor was installed at the engine plant; all the other bolt-on accessories were installed at the car assembly plant. The distributor must be dated prior to the stamped engine assembly date, and the assembly plant-installed items must be dated prior to the car's final assembly date (the date it came off the line, not the date on the cowl tag, which is the week it started in the Body Shop).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Thanks John, Is there any date or dates stamped on the car when it rolled off the line? Also, where can I get a list of all the part numbers that made up the short block for a 68 Z/28(April68)?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
Thanks John, Is there any date or dates stamped on the car when it rolled off the line? Also, where can I get a list of all the part numbers that made up the short block for a 68 Z/28(April68)?

This will help correlate the VIN to an off-the-line build date:

http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#HowMany

Jerry MacNeish's '67-'68 Z/28 Fact Book is a must for car/engine/driveline detail, available from his website at www.z28camaro.com.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
Thanks...I already have Jerrys book 4th edition.

anything