Author Topic: 68 RS hideaway headlight doors intermittent  (Read 21276 times)

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
68 RS hideaway headlight doors intermittent
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »
My 68 RS hideaway headlight doors are intermittent - they close fully but on occasion they don't. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Don -

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: 68 RS hideaway headlight doors intermittent
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
Don:

I had this problem occasionally on my 69 RS prior to reworking the system last year.  When I took the door assemblies appart, I discovered that a couple of plastic bushings that guide/support the shaft that the doors articulate on were missing at the bottom location on both sides.  Probably just wore out over time.  So one possibility is shaft binding due to worn/missing bushings.  Additionally, a little moly spray lube is helpful as well.

I've also noticed a tendencey for the doors to stick open if the vacuum hose routing isn't exactly as it is supposed to be.  On the '69 there are a couple of large u shaped clips that bolt to the front of the radiator support, one on each side.  As the vacuum hoses run down the radiator support to the actuators, they are supposed to be captured by these clips.  On mine, if one of the hoses slips out, it can interfere slightly with the movement of the door in the open position - and actually press against the door cover when the door is open - and hold it in the open position.  A slight push on the door would release the binding condition with the loose hose and the door would close.  I assume that the '68 setup is similar.  If it is, be sure the vacuum hoses are routed/secured properly.

And as a final thought - check valve ok in the main vacuum line from the intake?  Relay valve working properly?  Anything that might affect the correct  vacuum routing at all times to the actuators.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:55:06 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:04:57 AM »
i have delt with thse systems mostly on 68-69-and........ vettes- please make sure your one way valve is working properly--vacuum in the proper direction and it does not permit gas vapor(vacuum comes from the intake) to contaminate the system(usually happens if valve is defective)  the gas vapor will injure these vacuum diaphrams and cause them not to  work properly over a period of time

foreverlookin

• View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
Double check alignment of the bell crank and actuator also.

Kev 68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 06:38:30 PM »
I believe my cannister diaphram is leaking on pass. side. Can they be repaired? I also can't find the one way valve? Should I have one on my 68.My doors only work above an idle.
Thank you Kevin

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »
Pretty good discussion on the 69 RS headlight system (similar to 68) at the folowiing:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=542.0

By one way valve, I believe that your are referring to the vacuum relay valve - it is mounted on the vacuum reservoir tank, driver side, just behind the headlight.  One of the posts that I made as a part of the discussion at the above link describes how it works.  Also, see attached Word document.  It had previously been posted to the Web, and I no longer have that person's info. to give him credit.  Anyway - pretty good discussion of how the system works, troubleshooting, etc.  The relay valave is easy to find - it has 4 hose connections to it, one on top, and three on the lower body of the relay valve.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:59:11 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Kev 68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:44:25 PM »
Thanks Rich,
        That helps, I'm talking about the check valve (line filter). The (line filter) part  pretty much tells me I should have it! I have orig. accuators which I think one leaks. Can they be rebuilt? The check valve I think will also solve my low vacum at idle problem.
          Thanks again,
                      Kevin

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:39:58 AM »
Not sure if they can be repaired - economically.  Aftermarket items are available - but as I found out, not necessarily an exact replacement.  Check valve is available in the aftermarket.  If the check valve is not installed, (of if it is leaking) as you have observed, system vacuum will bleed down. 

Attached picture is from a couple of years ago when I took the front end of my '69 RS apart.  I am holding the vacuum supply line.  The line is normally connected to the fitting at the back of the intake manifold.  In this picture, it is just hanging loose.  The line has the check valve in it (you can see it to the right side of the picture).  From the check valve, the line goes to the splitter which applies vacuum to the headlamp switch, to the vacuum reservioir tank, and to the relay valve.

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 02:55:13 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Also very important.  We have spent years at CHP trying to make these vacuum doors work on my red 68 RS Z28.  It was very frustrating but we found something that's cured all of our issues.  Rick's First Gen reproduction hi-torque actuators.  When Rick George sent me one to try, it sat on our shelf for six months before I gave it a shot.  After all, I had brand new GM actuators on the car and everything else was new.  I thought it would be a waste of time. 

One day when we were slow, we installed the repro.  Couldn't believe it, the door few open and closed just as well.  The GM actuators never did that from day one. 

I ordered a second repro from Rick's and installed it.  The headlights in my red 68 Z have never worked so well in the 25+ years that I've owned the car.  I took my GM actuators and sold them on Ebay.  They just don't get the job done.  A good lesson learned here for the Camaro community.

Jerry

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 02:26:03 PM »
Jerry

Will this work for 69's also? I have about 5 sets of NOS actuators and there is always some problem whether it is the repo hoses crack on the ends or something binding. It drives me crazy. Has anyone found hoses that dont crack?? I bought the RS hose kit from Ricks.

Thanks
Mike
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
Mike, I bought the new ones from Ricks too and they worked great on my 69RS. The hoses also were fine from Ricks and color coded to help installation.  :)
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »
Jim

Thats good to hear. I guess I can sell my NOS actuators and buy those from Ricks. Are they the same physical size and style actuator? Basically just replace my actuators?

Thanks again
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 11:52:08 PM »
Yes, junk the originals and buy the ones at Ricks.  Both 68 and 69 are the same......and they are the same size.

Good luck,

Jerry

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 11:25:33 PM »
Hey guys new to the forum, I have a 68 Camaro and have installed new headlight assembly, i found an issue when i switch the lights on the doors open but they wont close, I have checked all vacuum hose and canister as it is all brand new. does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.