Author Topic: Lower alternator bracket question  (Read 10031 times)

jims68z

• View Profile
Lower alternator bracket question
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
I have a 68 z/28 and am using the stock exhaust manifolds.  I am using what I believe to be the correct lower alternator bracket.  I purchased it at the swap meet and was told that it was for 67-68.  The upper brackets are new repros from Heartbeat City.  The problem is that when I bolt the alternator in the lower bracket, it only will catch the outermost portion of the upper bracket.  Is it possible that I have the wrong lower bracket?  I know my alternator is not a numbers matching alternator.  Is there something special about the alternator?  Is the z/28 bracket something different all together?  Alternator hits valve cover before it can come into correct adjustment.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:16:18 PM by jims68z »

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Re: Lower alternator bracket question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
Got any pictures of the lower bracket? How about pics of the alternator also.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

jims68z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:15:32 PM »
I can take some pics tonite, but the bracket looks just like the brackets in the parts catalog.  The alternator looks pretty much the same as any external regulator alternator.  I have 5 of them on the floor at home and they are all the same with the only difference being the location of the plugs

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
Jim -

Do you have the correct L/H exhaust manifold (casting #3892683) for a '68 Z28?

Also, see the '68 AIM for the following...

- UPC 6, Sheet A4 = lower alternator mounting bracket instructions (make sure you have all the washers and spacers in the right position)
- UPC Z28, Sheet A3 = upper alternator mounting brackets (braces) instructions (make sure the alternator braces are mounted in front of the alternator's threaded boss)

As far as the alternator itself, it's physically the same as the standard '68 37 amp unit.  The only difference is the stamped part number (1100814) and the deep groove pulley.

Finally, are you using the correct alternator drive belt?

Below are photos of a properly mounted '68 Z28 alternator...

Paul     

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »
Below is a photo of the wrong way to mount your '68 Z28 alternator...

Paul

jims68z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:05:21 AM »
First of all, your car looks awesome.  I hope mine even comes close to that detail.  Second, I do have the correct exhaust manifolds.  I did look at the pics in the assembly manual and do not see anything that I have done wrong.  My upper brackets are new repops from Heartbeat city, so I can only assume they are correct.  My valve covers are not original GM, but look like the right thing.  How tall should the valve covers be?  they look stock height to me, but maybe they are not correct.  The only other variable is the lower bracket.  Are these brackets specific to camaro and year specific or are they pretty much the same for any small block chevy?  is there anything specific to a z/28?  I have not got the belt yet.  Waiting to resolve the alternator issue

SS375HP

• View Profile
    • LUCAS-RESTORATIONS
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »
Hi there,
You should be able to see photos of a 67Z lower alternator bracket here

http://picasaweb.google.com/LucasRestorations/PaulS67Z284#5410454017864345650
Check out photos 1,2 and 7 of 86. This is the same set up you should have for your 68Z.

Good Luck
Ken Lucas
www.lucas-restorations.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/LucasRestorations

British Green
68 L78
Phoenix, Maryland
www.lucas-restorations.com

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 03:35:19 AM »
My original 1968 Z28 valve covers are 2.5" tall with the cover laying flat on workbench and no gasket.  Measure your valve covers and see what the read.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 03:37:00 AM »
My valve covers are not original GM, but look like the right thing.  How tall should the valve covers be?  they look stock height to me, but maybe they are not correct.  The only other variable is the lower bracket.  Are these brackets specific to camaro and year specific or are they pretty much the same for any small block chevy?  is there anything specific to a z/28?  I have not got the belt yet.  Waiting to resolve the alternator issue.

Jim -

I measured the height of my original valve covers.  With a straight edge lying level across the top of the valve cover, and measuring from the top of the valve cover flange up, I get exactly 60mm.  Both valve covers measure the same.

Give me a few minutes to check my P&A in reference to the lower bracket.

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:08:41 AM »
The only other variable is the lower bracket.  Are these brackets specific to camaro and year specific or are they pretty much the same for any small block chevy?  is there anything specific to a z/28?

Give me a few minutes to check my P&A in reference to the lower bracket.

I'm back!    :)

According to my '69 Chevrolet P&A, all '67-68 Camaro small block V8s use the same lower alternator bracket (part #3878256).

Paul

jims68z

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
I measured my valve covers this morning and they are 2.5".  I had another set that was 4" and that is what I was thinking of.  I elected to use the shorter set. 

Is it possible that the bracket I have is not from a camaro at all?  would this bracket be different for different applications?  Maybe the guy that sold it to me didnt really know what it was from and just told me it was a Camaro bracket?  would these brackets be standard for any small block chevy or different for different vehicles?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
Is it possible that the bracket I have is not from a camaro at all?  would this bracket be different for different applications?  Maybe the guy that sold it to me didnt really know what it was from and just told me it was a Camaro bracket?

Sounds like the lower bracket is the problem.  Here's your solution...  http://www.heartbeatcity.com/store/product/21924/Camaro-Alternator-bracket-SB-lower-GM--67-68/

Paul

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
There is also a spacer pressed into the bracket to set the alternator all the way forward in the bracket.

Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

jims68z

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »
Paul,

I ordered the bracket you showed me from heartbeat city and got it today.  it is exactly the same as the one I already have. 

Marty,

that spacer is present on both the bracket I had and the one that I just bought.

I know I bought the upper brackets from heartbeat city, but is there any chance that they sent me the wrong ones.  Can someone measure their brackets and tell me how long they are (the upper brackets that is)?  Mine measure 12" end to end...give or take a half inch

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 04:51:11 AM »
I know I bought the upper brackets from heartbeat city, but is there any chance that they sent me the wrong ones.  Can someone measure their brackets and tell me how long they are (the upper brackets that is)?  Mine measure 12" end to end...give or take a half inch

Jim -

It's tough to measure these braces on the car, but here's the specs from my P&A...

Rear brace  =  11-31/32"
Front brace  = 12-39/64"

Paul