Author Topic: Need Help and or Advice  (Read 12177 times)

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Need Help and or Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 03:47:44 AM »
I can't get my (fat) finger between the 2 grove pulley and frame in my '68...  It's a short pump engine.  Hope my 3 grove cast pulley fits!

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 12:32:37 AM »
i have tried the 2 groove pulley and have approx. .75 inch clearance. i also installed new frame mounts and engine mounts and only gained about 1/8 inch clearane with the 3 groove pulley. so guess i won't be installing a/c.
now that i have remedy for the pulley clearance problem, another problem has came up. i now don't have enough space between the water pump and the 4 core radiator to use the clutch fan. can anyone tell me why?

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:10 AM »
I have solid mounts.  So, as long as I can get a belt on my 3 grove, I'll be happy... 

I seem to have a lot of room between my pump/flex fan and 4 core.  You may want to check the radiator application data on CRG/here.  I vaguely recall that the 4 core really wasn't used much.?.?  I'm not sure which way I will eventually go: repro fan and clutch or electric fan(s).  You also my want to check the motor and trany mount data, too...

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »
i have two electric fans attached to a griffin alumn. radiator thats installed on a 72 chev. truck, the motor is the ram jet 350 crate engine and i have heating problems with this set up. with the fan and clutch set up it cools with no problem, so u may want to give some serios thought to using electric fans. not to mention the amount of current they draw.

BILL69

• 69 Conv. auto/ ac/ ps/ pb/ pt LA built
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
A few years ago I had the same 4 core vs. fan clutch issue.   There are at least 2 different versions of the fan clutch,  the first one I tried was about 1/16" away from the radiator,  way too close!   After going back and forth with my local Chev dealer and Ricks First Gen I found a clutch that gave me about 5/16" of clearance.   I believe it was a Delco unit,  but I'm sorry I can't be sure.
Be American   Buy American

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
thanks Bill, i presently have a delco clutch and have about 3/16" clearance. just find it hard to beleive you would have to remove the radiator to put a belt on or a water pump.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »
Thanks for the electric fan advise!

Just eyeballing it w/ a tape measure, I have about 5 inches between the front of the pump pulley to the radiator.  Does that mean the fan and clutch set up is about 4 11/16"?  I have a flex fan and extension on there now and there is about 2 3/4" of space...

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 12:30:27 AM »
The fan and clutch set up i have is about three inches. The fan is the orig. 772 fan with a delco clutch.

anything