Author Topic: power steering leak  (Read 5220 times)

68crossram

• View Profile
power steering leak
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »
I've got a 67 Camaro with a stock engine compartment with the 350. I have been leaking power steering fluid from behind the pump. I think it is coming from the pressure line. Thought it was from the nut where the line attaches to the pump, I tightened it. Still have the leak. I'm sure this is an aftermarket hose from a reputable supplier. Any thoughts on other sources to check?

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: power steering leak
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:23:41 AM »
  It sounds simple, but I'd check to make sure the nut isn't cross-threaded and the flare is seated fully onto the pump nipple. If it isn't, the fluid can climb the threads and seep out. Just a thought and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
There is an O-ring on the fitting that screws into the back of the pump. Rebuild kits are available OTC.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
A pump overhaul is fairly easy. The pulley may require a special tool but they are available to borrow for free. A little heat can get it off if you are carefull. You may be leaking between the pump and the resevoir. Buy the inexpensive overhaul kit and have a go at it.

-Mark.

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:44:23 AM »
Thank you for your replies, seems the new power steering hose was faulty, leaking at the crimped end.

anything