Author Topic: New CRG Research Report Released on Emissions/Smog equipment  (Read 17222 times)

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
68 L30/M20 RS

ccargo

• View Profile
Re: New CRG Research Report Released on Emissions/Smog equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:21:53 PM »
Thank you Kurt :) Any subsequent carb material available to go along with it? I get confused with the Quad #'s regarding AIR equiped vehicles. The fuel to H2O ratio was changed...right?

Pat
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 06:42:06 PM »
Great work guys (Kurt)  ;)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 07:46:04 PM »
Thanks guys. And thanks for the help in pulling it together.

I still have one issue that I haven't been able to document:
"67 and 68 V8 pumps were either mounted high on the engine, in front of the intake manifold / carburetor (see 68 diagram), or mounted on the passenger side of the engine."
I could not find any documentation to confirm the latter part of that statement. Reportedly at least one original 68 LF7/M15 was found like that. The person no longer owns the car so no way to verify it. But has anyone else heard of this mounting location? Perhaps I should have caveated that statement more.

Pat,
The carb usage was out of the scope of the article. I think the applications are addressed in CBTN.
The CCS carbs had an internal provision to more accurately control part throttle A/F ratios. AIR carbs had a vaccum connection for the diverter valve. Both carbs also had the idle mixture limited so that you couldn't make it too rich by adjusting the screw out too much.
Note that the A/F ratio still needs to be 14.7:1 for proper combustion. They were just trying to be more accurate about it.
I can add these couple of sentences if y'all think it's needed.

Kurt
Kurt S
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 11:36:16 PM »
Nice article, however since I have a base 327 with Powerglide, from my perspective, it would have been nice to see more on the '69 CCS / Thermac system. 

From what I've seen (and from what is shown in the 69 Assembly Manual, CCS/Thermac only applied to auto trans cars.

For example, if you look in the front section of the AIM, you won't see the Thermac system even shown.  One has to go to one of the auto trans sections in the RPO section of the AIM (M35 for example) to see the drawings that show the Thermac and associated hardware. 

One additional item relating to Thermac was the differences in the RH exhaust manifold.  For the manual transmission, the "typical" log style manifold was utilized.  However, for the auto trans applications, the RH exhaust manifold had the "heat stove" as an integral part of the assembly.  From there, a seperate stove pipe connected the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner.  It is not clear in the AIM where the vacuum connection from the Thermac was routed.  I assume to a port on the carb, but another possibility would have been directly to the manifold vacuum port at the back of the intake manifold.

Anyone know for sure?

Richard
1969 RS Coupe
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 01:21:10 AM »
Plugs into the vacuum port on the carb, on the passenger side, just above the choke linkage.  On my car this tube is about 1 1/2" long.

You can see the hose that connects to the thermactor in this picture just to the lower left corner of the engine size emblem on my air cleaner.  The tube sticks out straight towards the passenger fender with the rubber hose connected to it.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 01:39:54 AM »
I have the same system on my 68 L48 PG only on the opposite manifold of course.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 05:19:44 AM »
Richard,
The applications for CCS are listed:
Only the automatic L6 and automatic small block Camaros did not have smog pumps, instead they had the simpler Controlled Combustion System.
The heat stove is also discussed:
It consisted of a damper door mounted on the snorkel of the air cleaner which directed warm air from a heat stove on the exhaust manifold into the air cleaner.

I should add something to clarify that the smog manifolds didn't have the heat stove. Thanks.
It's a pretty simple system, just one moving part. I didn't go into the details of hose connections and routings. They vary by engine and year.

CCS wouldn't show in the front of the AIM. That's info for base cars. CCS is related to the trans option and hence appears with that RPO.
Kurt S
CRG

Leonard1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 12:23:17 PM »
Very well written, as always Kurt!

clwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 02:35:17 PM »
Very nicely done Kurt.  I look forward to your remaining documentary endeavors.
Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350......in pieces still.

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »
Sheesh, I feel bad for Kurt's wife.  All this praise is going to make his head bigger, he may be unbearable to live with ;)

See, I'm smart - I sit back and let the writings happen by those who do such a fine job of it, I just occasionally read them ;)

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 04:48:47 AM »
Kurt,

GREAT job. Well written and very informative. Just what I've come to expect from this group.

Now, not to be a pest, but how's the research report for the front and rear springs coming!!??

;D

Ed

ragtopman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 01:33:54 AM »
I still have one issue that I haven't been able to document:
"67 and 68 V8 pumps were either mounted high on the engine, in front of the intake manifold / carburetor (see 68 diagram), or mounted on the passenger side of the engine."

My pump is mounted just to the right side of the oil fill tube, and up top.

anything