Author Topic: Date Codes  (Read 6897 times)

HOT3O2

• View Profile
Date Codes
« on: November 14, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »
When looking for date coded parts for restoring your Camaro how close do you want the date codes compared to the build date of the car. I have a car with a build date of the second week in December, and the engine has a build date of Dec.3rd. Are we looking weeks,or a month? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Rick
69 RS/Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Date Codes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »
Generally speaking, 2-6 weeks was "typical", but there were wide variations due to lax inventory controls in those days. Remember that the date code on the cowl tag was the week the body build started in the Body Shop; it took another 3-4 shifts to get to the end of the Final Line on the Chevrolet side of the plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
Thanks. That helps allot. Gives me an idea of what to look for.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:56:32 AM »
John there is a 67 Z28 that has a build date predateing the engine assembly date,I think Jerry knows which car I am talking about. Somehow that body was detained somewhere in the fisher body plant for some reason and recieved a motor dated after the cars build date on the trim tag. ;D Just goes to show you never know what can happen back then.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
John there is a 67 Z28 that has a build date predateing the engine assembly date,I think Jerry knows which car I am talking about. Somehow that body was detained somewhere in the fisher body plant for some reason and recieved a motor dated after the cars build date on the trim tag. ;D Just goes to show you never know what can happen back then.

That's why I said "typically" instead of "always". :-)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
I will bet that was "our" car back in my CPX days: 06E body engine V0706MO.

I doubt the body was detained. I have worked in manufacturing for 38 years and venture to say Fisher Production Control released the production orders with the body tags long before they were built.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:30:13 AM »
I was just guessing about the body being held,who knows what really happend but its like the saying goes,ya never know what could have happend back then.Maybe they had to wait for a 302 engine? ???

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 02:30:39 AM »
No question.

Week 06E spanned June 25-July 1. I'm gussing there was a July 4th shutdown and the plants probably re-opened Wednesday July 5th. The body number indicates it was one of the last tags scheduled for that week and was probably done Friday July 1. By then Chevy PC knew they did not have engines and advised Fisher to hold all Z/28 orders. I doubt they would release the body order based on the planned receipt of an engine and so held it until engines were in stock at Norwood. Body fab probably started Monday, July 10 and the car was shipped from Norwood July 12 or 13.
The VIN is in the 07B range.

Some other dates from the car:

engine: V0706MO block cast June 28
trans: June 23
axle: March 20 [metallic brakes]
flywheel: June 15
starter: June 13
alternator: Nov 29, 1966 [42 amp]
water pump: May 3
TC cover: April '67 [4-67]

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
thats really interesting on how that car was assembled.not to change the subject but what was the time frame of the 69 strike and did similar things like that happen to the 69 camaros?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 12:35:34 AM »
There was no strike in '69.

We do not have all that much data but I do not know of a '69 delayed as the '67 Z/28 was. Per Jim Mattisons' article COPOs were often delayed in production due to rear axle availability. For '69 the body number was generated when the dealer order was confirmed. They were not built in body number sequence but there is a rough correlation-COPOs are often well outside the norm.

From a production planning standpoint the '69 Camaro was a nightmare; so much so John DeLorean mentioned it in his 1973 book "On a Clear Day You Can See GM." He states there were 2,720 possible dash cluster build combinations. It is true; I have been able to duplicate the number. There were 63 possible steering wheel assemblies. Way too many options, colors, trim choices. I track ECLs which I believe were used to spec materials required for specific option combos in production. I have identified over 20 for RS, 13 for A/C. Transmissions take the prize currently; over 40. I do not know how they managed all this on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:50:02 PM by Rich »

anything