Author Topic: 69 subframe mounting dimensions for body stand  (Read 5594 times)

hotrod34

• View Profile
69 subframe mounting dimensions for body stand
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »
I have made a portable body stand for my 69 Z28 that I will soon start to restore. Does anyone know the dimensions from one mounting hole on the subframe to the other? I need to make upright supports and wondered what the dimensions are, either overall or from the center of the car out. I would think where the body mounts to the subframe would be a suitable location. Would like rear dimensions also, but not sure where everyone supports the body back there. any thoughts would be appreciated as to dimensions and ideas to support the body during restoration. Thanks

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: 69 subframe mounting dimensions for body stand
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:24:43 AM »
The amount of work you car needs will determine how extensive your cart will be. Needlesss to say a rotisserie is most convenient if you're not completely rebuilding the shell. If it's solid I'd just support it solidly at the  subframe mounts under the firewall and the rear frame rails. There are numerous posts at Team Camaro about body jigs but building a cart is pretty straightforward if you have the dimensions. Hopefully these attachments are successful.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:35:56 AM by Sauron327 »

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:55:18 AM »
Not sure if this is much help dimension wise but thought you might find it interesting.  Mike is rebuilding my heap :-)  This link is for the jig he sells.

http://www.mikescustomcars.com/projects/projects.asp?proj=Catalog1stgenJig

This link is for the firewall jig that he doesn't sell.

http://www.mikescustomcars.com/projects/projects.asp?proj=bureau69&album=3&pic=128

Jerry K.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 05:30:08 AM »
We mount the body cart to the subframe mounting points at the firewall in the front, and the rear spring shackles at the rear (using the shackle brackets to connect the body to the cart).

As far as the dimensions go, just take measurements on the car.

Not a great pic, but the best I can find right now:

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com