Author Topic: Rear axle codes  (Read 5176 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Rear axle codes
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:05:13 AM »
OK, not a 1st gen question but thought I'd tap the knowledge base here.  Looking at a 8.5" 10 bolt axle for the '71 RS/SS I am putting together.  The axle I have found has the following axle tube stamping: "2L 208" . 

CBTN shows "2L" as a legit code for a '71 Camaro with a 3.42:1 open rear axle.  Problem is that I cannot find any other references to support this and confirm its application.  Can anyone here? 

I don't have it here but am relying on someone else to pull the numbers. There's a lot of paint they said and indicated that  it could just as easily be a "ZL" instead of the "2L"...but I can find no reference for "ZL" anywhere.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear axle codes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »
I think they need to do some more cleaning and use a wire brush.  I don't see that code in
any of the documentation that I have collected. The format of the stamped code should look like

CB G 112 1 E
(CB = Ratio, G = Plant, 112 = 112th day of year, 1 = shift, E = Positraction Source)
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »
I think they need to do some more cleaning and use a wire brush.  I don't see that code in
any of the documentation that I have collected. The format of the stamped code should look like

CB G 112 1 E
(CB = Ratio, G = Plant, 112 = 112th day of year, 1 = shift, E = Positraction Source)

I agree that there should be more data (assuming that it wasn't obliterated by a grinder or what-not).  Since CBTN calls out "2L" as an open rear it would not have a posi source so what I seem to be missing is a shift code (not really helpful in determining OE application) and the plant code.  The real puzzler is the "2L" as it only appears in CBTN '70-'75 and no where else The seller (who is a friend of a friend) states that it came from a '71 (that jives with the "2L" code which he didn't know until I asked for it) and it is still packing 3.42:1 gears (which also matches the "2L").

I'm not saying Colvin is wrong, it's just that it is an odd code (numeric-alpha as opposed to the normal alpha-alpha) so I was looking for some sort of supporting references. I have a friend that is going to check it more closely today or tomorrow so maybe I'll get more data.  In the mean time, anyone every run into such a code or one close to it?

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
Is there a casting date anywhere on the center housing? 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »
Is there a casting date anywhere on the center housing? 

Unknown until my friend looks at it tomorrow.  It would sure answer some questions though ;)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:17:21 AM »
Well it was all for naught...my friend went down today instead and it was a "JP G" code on the axle tube (how does one get "@L" from that?? ??? ???...so that make sit a '73-'74 Nova piece, 3.42:1 posi....which is what it has.  Thanks anyway for the help.