Author Topic: Need help with Headers..  (Read 14950 times)

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
Need help with Headers..
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »
So I am in the 9th inning with this car.  So far everything has been great except the headers.  Car has factory AC and Power Steering.  I have the original 350 engine & Turbo 350 trans set aside and built a mild 383 and 700R4 for some fun. 

I dont believe anyone builds a header for this car, so my options are to have custom built headers made OR do you think the stock exhaust manifolds would work ok on this (alum head angle plug) engine?

Thanks,

Damon

Damon

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Headers..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »
I have a 68 SS 350 with AC and PS. Borla Headers Cleared the PS but there was a 1/2" interference on the # 2 downpipe to the resin cover for the AC. I have not seen a setup out of the box that worked well. You could start with a kit and rebend the downpipes that you need modified. I do not know if the Borla headers are still being offered for First generation Camaros.
68 07D SS350
John

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »
Are those AFR heads?.............RatPack.................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »
No, I believe they are Dart
Damon

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
with the potential of that 383, the manifolds will kill it.

i know there are headers available for sbc A/C cars.

i have a new set of Stahl 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 stepped that i'm selling..

the stahl site says that they clear PS (which i know they do for a fact)  but it says they need to be built to accomodate A/C

i'm not sure what that means, but if you call and ask them if the "model 106" they sold to Aaron Kaleniecki will fit A/C,, then i'll sell them to you for a great deal.

they are brand new... but painted..

good luck

Aaron

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
Damon, you are going to either need to build a custom set of headers or modify some existing ones to make them clear that a/c box. Currently there are not any aftermarket headers available to fit those heads and clear the a/c box on the firewall. Now we built a 68 a few years ago using those heads, but we used a set of Hooker Super Comps by modifying two of the pipes on the header. It is a simple modification that can be done by any good fabricator. Start with a set of uncoated headers, modify them, then send them out to be coated. I can get you the exact number for the headers later tonight as I will have to dig through my paperwork. I will try and get you some pictures of them also if I can get a hold of the customer that owns that car...................RatPack................

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »
Aaron & Rat Pack,

Thanks!

Damon
Damon

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 03:45:29 AM »
? on your AC did you  have it rebuilt ?  and did you convert it to 134 .im restoring a 68 rsss 350 with AC and im at a crossroad whether to keep it original or go vintage air

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »
Rat Pack, thanks.  Pics and part number would be great.  Direct e-mail is damon dot rapozo at clearwire dot com

AC, I found a bunch of NOS GM parts, condensor, evap, etc.  The compressor was rebuilt.  Not sure what type of freon, probably the original stuff.

Anyone running Dynatech headers?  Greg Feusller from Dynatech wrote:

We dealt with the A/C Box issue on some of our earlier runs of this header.  However now we have an updated version that clears by at least 3/8”.  I know the customers that have used this new model have had great results with no issues.  We really tucked the last tube way in.  Also there should be no need to dent any tubes to clear the steering box.  Spark plug clearance should also be a non issue.  Please let me know if you are interested and specifically ask for me.  I will make sure you get the “A/C” version.  We really have this header fine tuned to where it fits great.  We also have the complete system from tip to tip if you are interested. 
See the link below:

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Dynatech&Category_Code=muscle_camaro

Dynatech Product Manager / Corporate Sales
A-FAB LLC
PO Box 548
Boonville,  IN  47601
Phone 800-848-5850  Ext 6254
Email: gafuesler@afcoracing.com

They look good, especially the drivers side.  Pass side rear pipe still looks tight. 

Damon

qwertyme77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
years ago i was told that the old "rams horn" manifolds were a good alternative to headers on a mild engine. has anyone tried this?

how about the tri-y headers? would they fit any better than the 4-into-one?

I ask because I also have a (67) camaro with a/c, ps, pb,. My auto will be going back to a 4 speed. My goal is a mildly powerful 350 with a very quiet exhaust. I figure what I will lose with quiet mufflers I can regain with headers. Any opinions?

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:48:15 AM »
they won't fit...

the subframe crossmember is right in the location where the center dump would be.

i have seen ramshorns that have a kickback allowing the exhaust to clear the crossmemnber, but i don't know they would work..

come to think of it, i've never seen a camaro with ramshorns period..

i suppose you could notch your kmember... but that would be silly.

A

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »
May have found the answer, Sanderson CC5 model block huggers.  Only issue is the flange just touchs the motor mount on the pass. side.  Was thinking of removing the mount to see if it can be trimmed or modified.  Plenty of AC clearance.  Was going to install the original exhaust manifolds but since these Dart allum heads have a 3/4" raised exhaust ports they too were fairly close.
Damon

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 02:19:55 AM »
you are gonna leave a ton of power on the table with block huggers....  the bends are way way way to tight.  You'll be chasing your tail trying to get that thing tuned properly, and all tht motor potential is gonna be waisted with those things... not that sanderson makes a bad product, its just that block hugger headers are about as bad as you can get (performance wise).

for the money you have tied up in that motor, spend the extra cash on the stahls.... Jere can make them to clear the AC and his new ones are designed for the raised port exhaust.  The only headers I know of in that class.

yes they are expensive, but when you figure in how much better they fit, and how much better your car will breathe... you'll be glad you spent the cash.

plus they are tuned equal length, not shorty block huggers.

good luck

Aaron

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 04:26:56 AM »
I agree with Aaron on this one, get a set of Stahl's. However, you can modify the Hooker's for a lot less than the Stahls are going to cost. I have contacted the owner of the 68 we did that has these same heads and pictures will be forthcoming tomorrow. along with the Hooker part number. Been a little busy around here with a newborn so I am a little forgetful about things I have posted on here lately.............RatPack.........

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »
I plan to change down the road, right now no one says they inventory a set  that will clear. Dynatech says they are 60 days out on a revised version that sounds very promising. 

Dynatech sent me pictures and detailed info FAST, it sounds like they are on top of the issues with a 3/4" raised port alluminum angle plug head, factory AC, and the Saginaw 825 steering box. 

Stahl said they can modify some existing models but were not sure if it would fit my criteria, they also sent a link for an aftermarket AC kit that could have a smaller box and elctronic valves.  Before I would even consider changing my factory resin AC box I would put the original 350 back in with exhaust manifolds and sell the 383.

I will use these Sandersons so I can take advantage of Oregons beautiful summer and get a few months in then this winter make a change.

Thanks

Damon
Damon

anything