Author Topic: 3908326 Rear Proportioning Valves Pictures  (Read 6450 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
3908326 Rear Proportioning Valves Pictures
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:18:42 AM »
Well here is my collection. Trying to get the pictures to load. Ya think it is worth it to keep up the research on these? Trying to find patterns in stamping and hole sizes etc. etc. Worth the effort? Or sell them off and let it go?....Danny

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
Re: 3908326 Rear Proportioning Valves Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
I'm in for that Oct 1 1968 valve if it's for sale.....

Nuch
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:58:49 AM »
Dannystarr,

That is a good start to look for patterns, Has anyone else done this yet?

How do you know the date of manufacture on these?
68 07D SS350
John

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:54:46 AM »
Hey OregonJam, I believe this dating system was started by astronomers. And it really represents alot more then most car people want to delve into. In fact I think we are in about our second billion julian date at this point, and that goes back to the 1400's. But I digress.
  We car people use it for the 365 day year. It is the same basic set-up as many other car parts. Like your brake booster on a Camaro has it stamped in it. It is the Julian dating system. Each day denotes a number of the year. Then the dash number after that is the year itself. There are others also that are AFTER 69' I am only collecting 67'-68'-and 69' first generation. So if it's 223-7 it's the two hundred and twenty third day of 1967. Then just look at a calendar from that year and you would see the date of manufacturing. Just like my sharpie writing on each valve, it represents the day. I am hoping some master's like John and Jerry pipe in and let me know what they think. As far as the other letter's, I am guessing when I say the KH is for Kelsey Hayes?? And the small "R" stands for rear?? Again, this is just my own assumptions. I could be wrong on BOTH. Also on 1969 valves only there is a large "E" sideways stamped in the valve. That one has me stumped. I am trying to collect enough some day to know what day that "E" got started. And was it at BOTH plants. Anyway, just fun stuff like that. I may sell the whole collection in one shot and call it goodbye. Some I paid $25, others I paid $200. And I have seen many at $250 or more. It just depends on the year and such.   Danny

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:15 AM »
Danny,

Interesting what someone collects and researches!

The Julian dates are translated here:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#Calendar.

KH is Kelsey Hayes.

I think the R could be for the rear outlet.

Since this is a supplier part, it would be independent of the plant.

Here's one with the original mounting bolt.

Nova had the same valve mounted below the master cylinder. Go figure.....

Can you send me a higher resolution version of the front side picture?
Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »
Hey Kurt, yes, funny how that collection thing works eh? I see you have a valve dated at Thursday Feb. 6th of 69'. I also have a couple original bolts myself. So is that just a picture, or are you selling me that valve for my collection?   ha ha

So I was right ....KINDA. ...I was wondering like I mentioned if that "R" meant Rear Brakes. But it might mean rear outlet since it is by one of the holes. Funny that the Julian dating link you posted only does month and year and NOT day??  Wonder why?

I have seen some others in diff. locations over the years like ya mentioned. I even found them with Diff. bracket set-up above the rear axle on 70's chevelle's. I still think I wanna stay with first gen collecting on these.

Anyway, I will do what I can on the picture thing, I am not sure I know how to do your request, not a super wiz kid on the computer. I may have to take a close-up of each one, and then send them to ya directly without reducing the size. I just wrote it on my clip board so I don't forget. Speaking of clip board viewing...I gotta go install a On Demand Water Heater that produces 14 Gallons per minute, and then wire it into motion sensors connected to recirc. pumps...Good Times!   It's a monster if ya want alot of hot water........Over and Out............Danny 

Camaro Billy

• View Profile
    • 1969 RS/SS
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »
Here is a shot of mine. It matches one of the dates from Danny's collection. Does that mean thee were built in batches ?
Billy
1969 RS/SS 350/300 Rallye Green . Black Vinyl Top

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
Hey Billy, yes funny I have that number AND the day before. Of course they must have had several of the same numbers. How many I couldn't say. But I have seen many with the same number as one of mine. Just like yours is...... I think the most common times I have seen before the build date of the car is about 35 days. That seems to be the norm. Perhaps Kurt, John, Jerry and the rest could verify that more tight on the days. BUT however I have seen them 65 days prior to build date on an ALL original one owner car. So who knows really......Lunch time over, back to the on demand Water Heater project...........Danny

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:37:33 AM »
Funny that the Julian dating link you posted only does month and year and NOT day??  Wonder why?
Did you click on it? The whole month pops up and you can see the days.

Mine is just a pic. I sold it on ebay many years ago.....  :) Note mine doesn't have an E on it. There's a chance it was the one I pulled from a Firebird.

Lots of components were built in batches. So it's not surprising to see similar dates.
Kurt S
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 04:01:18 AM »
Hey Kurt, your right I clicked on it. I guess all this time I have been having fun just doing it in my head. I better check my math eh? Alot of times I also look at calendars on line and count it up. But I will use that from here on out.

Yes I also noticed that your 69' valve didn't have a large " E " What I need is about 50 from each year. I'll probably be dead by then but maybe it's worth a try. I better will them all to CRG to keep the dream alive. ha ha       Still interested in what more people think on the subjset and what other info can be added on these valves........

Glad ya got the picture....Danny