Author Topic: 1969 Gas Tank  (Read 6351 times)

hotrod34

• View Profile
1969 Gas Tank
« on: June 26, 2009, 11:34:09 PM »
Question about gas tanks for first generation camaros. Getting ready to restore a 69 Z28 which is all there and original. Would like to replace the gas tank. What is the current thinking on this. Are the reproductions concours correct? Is is better to just repaint the original? I like the new "look" of the galvanized reproductions ,but how accurate are they to original GM tanks? Do they pass for originals? And what are the differences, if any? Thanks in advance for any info.

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
the GM tanks will probably be pretty well beat up if you can find one. They were shipped/stocked loose without any box or packaging for all those years. They probably cost a bunch too. I went repro and they look and fit great. The functional quality of the repro is excellent. I can not say either way if the repro is 100% correct or not but I really like it.

-Mark.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:53:40 PM »
I like the "Quanta" Made in Canada tank I got for my 68, as I did not care for the painted OER version I saw at swap meets.

Most opt for a replacment tank vice restoring the OLD tank, my thinking was after all the years of abuse, dents, undercoating, corrosion, paint overspray, etc the efforts to restore, (obtaining real plating vice spray painting the exterior) and cleaning & sealing the interior of the tank was not worth the efforts when compared to the current quality avail and offered by the Quanta tank.
The appearance of the 67-68 tank is great.

I have heard that with the 69 tanks (Brand unknown) can have filler neck, position-angle issues?

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:11:47 AM »
Since you mentioned "concours correct" I'll add this.  Original tanks were date coded-usually the left front corner as installed.  Some of the aftermarket "stiching" is incorrect, where they join the two halves.  I got a GM one years ago so I don't know about the repops.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:33:24 AM »
I like the "Quanta" Made in Canada tank I got for my 68, as I did not care for the painted OER version I saw at swap meets.

I agree on the OER tanks not looking too great, but I thought the Canadian/NA made tank was from Spectra rather than Quanta (maybe they're the same?)

I don't know how they fare on a judging sheet, but the "good" (spectra/quanta) repo is a pretty nice part.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:21:31 AM »
I agree on the Spectra part. I can't see where it differs from the original tank.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »
i have a nos gm one above my paint booth haven't looked at it in years.  when did they stop making them?  i have also installed both of the tanks you speak of.  the oer tank does not look correct no exposed galvanize.  the spectre tank is bare galvanize but the shape seams a little off?

anything