Author Topic: 68 SS350 research  (Read 2817 times)

ldickersonc

• View Profile
68 SS350 research
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:20:38 PM »
My car is about done with restoration, and i want to start putting together information on it.  Is there any way to be able to tell, with the VIN, trim tag and original engine number, what other options it came with?  The car was a mess when i got it so i cant assume anything it had (like the 12 bolt 4.88 rear), was original.  Pardon me if i sound like i dont know what i'm talking about, i probably dont.  thank you

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 68 SS350 research
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:55:47 PM »
Is there any way to be able to tell, with the VIN, trim tag and original engine number, what other options it came with?

As far as figuring out options for a '68 Camaro from the above list...

1)  The VIN will tell you if the engine was a L6 or V8 and if the body was a coupe or convertible.

2)  The cowl tag will tell you if the body was a coupe or convertible, if the car originally came with standard or custom interior, and if it had a vinyl top.

3)  The original engine assembly code will tell you which engine option the car had.  The engine suffix code can sometimes also tell you what options the car had or didn't have.  For example; if your engine assembly code was V0202MO, the engine suffix code (MO) would tell you the car had a Muncie 4-speed transmission and power front disc brakes.  The MO engine suffix code would also tell you the car didn't have air conditioning and wasn't a convertible.

This is very general and there are other variables (i.e. build date) that can help.  Hope this sheds some light.

Paul