Author Topic: Clutch won't disengage  (Read 19453 times)

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Clutch won't disengage
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 04:15:43 PM »
The clutch disc is in the right way (marked flywheel side), and centered.  I wonder if the fork is right.  Mine is the 14066235, but somebody mentioned the 3892632 is the one I need.  Who knows??

Can you see the marking/sticker through the pressure plate fingers while it is bolted together? You mentioned the "flywheel side" markings so that makes me ask. Sorry if that seems to be a strange question but I want to help rule out the possibilities.  It may have been marked wrong? The symptoms are pointing right at the disk or the pressure plate. The other possibilties include some lost motion in the linkage.

I once had to remove and replace the tranny and clutch 3 times in one day. The parts looked fine on the bench but the clutch would not release when installed. The final diagnosis was discovered when the counterman and myself assembled the flywheel to the clutch assy on the bench. The pressure plate fingers were warped but this was not visualy obvious when you looked at the parts just sitting there loose. We could see the warped fingers problem when we assembled them together but when apart the PP fingers looked perfectly straight. A replacement clutch was the solution.

-Mark.

jpic

• '67 rs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 06:10:19 PM »
Yes I can see the markings on the disc.  I have decided that I am going to try the GM fork(3892632) which is shorter and more angler.

Thanks
-Jon

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »
Yes I can see the markings on the disc.  I have decided that I am going to try the GM fork(3892632) which is shorter and more angler.

Thanks
-Jon

Jon,
If you can see the disk markings on the disk while the pressure plate is installed then that is the problem. The "flywheel side" sticker goes tward the flywheel so you could not see it with the pressure plate installed. If that is all that is wrong it is an easy fix.

-Mark.

Classic Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 07:43:52 PM »
OK now I gotta re-ask, you said "Yes I can see the markings on the disc." Do the markings say "flywheel side", and if you can see them through the pressure plate while it is bolted up, well there is your problem. The disc is in backward. You should not be able to see, "flywheel side" when it's all bolted up.........
I'm hoping you ment, yes I can see the markings, when all the pieces are on the ground and you know which side is which, (or as some say witch, LOL, J/K)

Just checking.
opinions are like wallets, some just aren't worth stealin'.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »
Gary...look at the disc from the side. The center part of the disc that's flat goes toward the flywheel. The raised part goes toward the pressure plate. If it were backwards the marcel and springs would hit the flywheel. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

jpic

• '67 rs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »
I meant that I can see markings on the disc that say other things other than "flywheel side".  Anyway, I put in clutch fork #3892632, and that solved my problem!  It now works!  Thanks all for the great information.

-Jon

anything