Author Topic: Proper Painting of Underside of Cowl Induciton Hood  (Read 4965 times)

rockphil

• View Profile
Proper Painting of Underside of Cowl Induciton Hood
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
To ensure correctness of originality - how much of the underside of a cowl induction hood for a 1969 Z28 should be painted the same as the body color?

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Proper Painting of Underside of Cowl Induciton Hood
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:25:16 AM »
Quoting John Z:

"The black dip-primed hood, fenders, and header panel were mounted on a conveyor buck in car position with about a 1" gap between the panels when they were sprayed with body color; the outer edges of the vertical weld flange on the hood got full coverage, but very little or no body color normally showed on the inboard side of the hood flange."

rockphil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:42:24 AM »
Please explain where the vertical weld flange and hood flange is located - how far into the underside of the hood does this cover?

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
if you set your hood on a pair of saw horses you will see the part he is talking about is the "sides" of the hood. There is an area where the spot welds can be seen from the side. The bottom of that edge is sharp from the sheet metal being cut there before the hood was formed and all of that part got paint. it will be a vertical surface. the underside of the hood was not masked so it is possible to get some small amount of overspray past the edge of the outside.

-Mark.

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
My unrestored one owner Z10 "that I no longer have" had heavy white overspray on the underside of the hood. I removed the original insulation in an attempt to clean the oild film sludge from it and overspray although very light was visible all the way to the center of the hood.

I should have taken a lot more pictures of that car!
69 SS/RS Hugger orange-Ivory houndstooth, endura.
69 RS Conv. Black/Black-Ivory interior, endura, DX1.