Author Topic: New tall bumpers guards, they don´t fit!  (Read 7037 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
New tall bumpers guards, they don´t fit!
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:21:48 AM »
Hi!
Has anybody else had problems when mounting repro bumper guards, specially in the front on a 69 Camaro??  ???
I have to use the grinder to take a lot of material, and crome, away so the guard at least fit the bumper shape...! :(

I bought the bumper guards from NPD cause i heard that they had rather good quality!  ::)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Re: New tall bumpers guards, they don´t fit!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:47:29 AM »
...nobody has a any experince??  :-\
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
I wouldn't take a grinder to anything until I was certain I was not doing something wrong.

I thought the tall bumper guards only went on the back bumper.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »
Hugger69, I ran into this problem a few years ago and found it wasn't the guards instead it was the bumper. The guards were made to fit the original bumper, not the repro. I have a 69 here that the customer wants me to add the tall front guards to, but I know I am going to have a time fitting them to the bumper as his car has an older repro bumper on it now. I have heard that these guards do fit the top of the line bumper from Goodmark, but I have not confirmed this with a test fit of my own. They did some serious retooling about 5 years ago on all of their bumpers to be more exact on exterior shape as compared to originals, and of the ones for the 67-68 models they are pretty much dead-on. You are doing about the only thing feasible to make them fit, which stinks because now you have to either rechrome them or paint the edges that you grind............................RatPack........................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »
Hugger69, I ran into this problem a few years ago and found it wasn't the guards instead it was the bumper. The guards were made to fit the original bumper, not the repro. I have a 69 here that the customer wants me to add the tall front guards to, but I know I am going to have a time fitting them to the bumper as his car has an older repro bumper on it now. I have heard that these guards do fit the top of the line bumper from Goodmark, but I have not confirmed this with a test fit of my own. They did some serious retooling about 5 years ago on all of their bumpers to be more exact on exterior shape as compared to originals, and of the ones for the 67-68 models they are pretty much dead-on. You are doing about the only thing feasible to make them fit, which stinks because now you have to either rechrome them or paint the edges that you grind............................RatPack........................
Thanx for an quick answer! :)
...I was told, by the former owner in US, that I have a rechromed original front bumper so my guess is that the bumper guard tool are wrong!? I´m going to use paint and rubber sealing when mounting the guards!
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:43 PM »
I know the repro rear tall guards for '69 were a very poor fit. The repro weight was heavier, the finish was better and they were much more smooth as compared to NOS GM parts BUT the fit against the GM bumper was totaly unacceptable. I suspect they were formed wrong after they were notched if that makes sense.

I sent them back and bought GM NOS :) :) :)

-Mark.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »
Now the Hugger has bumper guards!!

The rear ones fitted lika a glove, talk about "bolt on" ! :D

...but with the front ones I had to work hard with the grinder and finally I got them decent in place:

What do you think?

The reasons for me to put them there in the first place was that I allready had the holes for them in the front and I thought it would look nice on a 2" dropped 69 Camaro!  :D
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »
Nice
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

anything