Author Topic: Dash removal  (Read 6141 times)

Wazoo151

• '67 SS Clone
    • View Profile
Dash removal
« on: March 20, 2006, 12:29:04 AM »
Forgive me if this has been asked before - My '67 has a '68 dash, including both the main dash panel and the upper panel (complete with a 68 VIN).  How involved is the dash removal?   My primary concerns are the retainer-clip holes for the longer dash pad down at the bottom of the panel, which would be visible if I installed the '67 dash pad.  Is it even worth doing, or should I just live with the incorrect dash, and maybe fill and paint over these holes?

Thanks,

Robert

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
Re: Dash removal
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:02:14 AM »
Robert,

I did this on my 68 due to rust issues. With a little patience and a spot weld drill bit it can be done cleanly. I drilled the spot welds across the lower windshield edge (at the cowl panel area). Then there are 3 mounting tabs, two on either edge by the "A" pillar base, and one in the middle, near the radio area. It sounds primitive, but cut those with a sawzall and the whole dash face and top will come out. The fun part is finding a clean original 67 piece to put back in. Now if you car has factory a/c, you may need to leave the "face" in place for the vent/duct holes. If that's the case, drill the spot welds across the upper dash (behind the pad) and just remove the dash top that has the 68 VIN hole. Good luck!

Buddy

• View Profile
Re: Dash removal
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:21:23 PM »
The hard part will be finding a 67 dash in decent shape. It isn't a big job to replace, fairly easy..