Author Topic: Blog compares 1st gens to the new 5th gen and is somewhat unkind...  (Read 19443 times)

PANTHER-BUFF

• View Profile
Re: Blog compares 1st gens to the new 5th gen and is somewhat unkind...
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 12:10:28 AM »
 They're all good - Both have advantages and disadvantages - Wish I could afford a 2010 - I would be a happy camper, with both :'(
Danny

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
I have rented a 1LT in Cyber Grey from Budget for a week, and so far I am impressed with the base V6. The cars handles great, good ride on rough or uneven roads, no rattles, good body fitment, quiet inside, and very comfortable seats. The brakes are AWESOME for a base model and I can only imagine how the ones on the SS will do.....maybe peel the asphalt when you stop!!! Swapping the wife's daily driver 325i is probably going to be a reality sometime soon. The Camaro is getting a few miles less on the average MPG than her car, but I think the looks she gets in the Camaro will compensate for it!!!..................RatPack....................

***JMO....thank goodness they didn't retro the car as much as the Challenger or Mustang as I wouldn't even be interested in it. As for it looking like a Caddy, well I disagree. The lines are all first gen, especially 67-68 models with the only exterior styling cues of a 69 bing the grill and those hideous 1/4 louver indentations. The fender lines, tops of the 1/4 panels, and the lower body lines are all 67/8, with the taillamps being taken directly from the 68 RS. Just a great adaptation of the good from the early cars into a more modern design. Same for the interior, mostly 68/69, but just updated. Saw a Challenger yesterday with a 70 RT in front of it coming up the interstate, couldn't tell the two apart from a distance, especially since the 70 had the painted bumpers.....
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
So you can rent a 2010 Camaro from Budget, but my local dealer has only delivered 1 so far, has zero in inventory, and no idea when he will get another one.
Interesting marketing strategy GM!

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
The local dealers are ticked that the Budget at the Knoxville airport got 7 of them the other day in one shipment! They received 3 Cyber Grey, and 1 each in Red, Yellow, Black, Silver. You cannot reserve them over the phone as they are only counter rentals only. They are not cheap to rent either, about $90 a day if you rent for a week, and double that per day if rented for anything less. I wanted to make sure this car was worthy of the hype and I have no complaints. The wife drove it to work today and loved it! She said the blind spots at the A & B pillars take some getting use to, but she thinks she can manage in time!!! So I think I have her approval to pick up a V6 car for her daily driver................RatPack.......................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
Will rogue dealerships like Yenko, Bill Thomas and Fred Gibb stuff a mega-inch engine in some 2010s and create a Frankenstein machine?

Since it came up...
I saw a 2002 Berger ZL1 like Camaro this weekend. Produced by Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, MI
I believe they made 18 in 02/03.
I like the 1st gen style but it was refreshing to see and hear a rediculous setup installed from the dealer. Nothing is left untouched but the doors. The quarters are widened etc,

I am sure we will see more items like this with the 2010 body. The new body is a good correction. Atleast is relates to the heritage of the 1st gen and doesn't completely forget about it like all other gens.

For those interested:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0609htp_chevy_camaros/index.html

-John
68 07D SS350
John

pdq67

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
He, He!!

If it's not a "wing-window", it's a wannabe Camaro!

pdq67

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 03:02:22 AM »
still should have been built in the USA for me to own one.if we all dont start thinking that way some of us will have to beg president Hu Jintao for our dinner plate.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 03:53:40 AM »
  Hotrod68 and RS3SDL2MG you both must have read my mind - great posts in my humble opinion and I greatly appreciate the fact that I now don't have to go to the trouble since you both pretty much summed up my feelings!
 Thanks - Randy

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 11:47:33 PM »
Well, I have both. In fact, I have gone from driving my fully restored 69 Z/28 to driving my 2010 SS/RS in the same day. There is no question that the 2010 rides nicer and quieter. I would challenge anyone to compare a 1960s model car with their equivalent today (if they still make them) and not find the same thing. I would certainly hope that things have improved in 40 years!

That said, I still love both cars. It's a dream come true to have both.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

Balaclava

• View Profile
    • LaFlamme Family Photo Albums
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 02:30:15 AM »
still should have been built in the USA for me to own one.if we all dont start thinking that way some of us will have to beg president Hu Jintao for our dinner plate.

I don’t understand your thinking. Many Canadians have always considered cars from Canada or the USA as being North American. With comments like yours I may have to change my thinking. Do you realize that Canada has always produced 15 to 20 % of all North American vehicles from the big 3? GM has been producing cars in Canada ever since they were formed. In fact Buick was producing Cars in Canada before GM even existed. Both the Canadian federal government and the Ontario Provincial government have put billions of dollars into bailing out both GM and Chrysler. Canadian Governments, or should I say the Canadian people, own about 12% of the new restructured GM. We definitely deserve some vehicle assembly plants in Canada.
Paul
1967 RS Convertible

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 03:51:59 AM »
balaclava the camaro is not a Canadian icon is it? thats my way of thinking .im not saying no cars should be produced up there im just saying the camaro shouldnt it should have stayed on US soil.if gm released a new version of a acadian canso and built the thing in the USA some of your fellow countrymen would be mad correct?even though the canso is not a good example because it didnt do that well for pontiac of canada as the nova did for chevy down here. i hope you can get the point after all we will have another common interest you have two languages french and english and we almost do with english and spanish. just a thought

Balaclava

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 05:21:05 AM »
The Camaro is a Canadian icon. Actually why can’t we just say that it is a North American icon. That is why I have owned 5 different first generations, including my current 1967 RS convertible for more than 30 years, and it doesn’t bother me that it was assembled in the USA. The Camaro has not been assembled in the USA since the 1992 model year. The fourth generation Camaro was assembled in Sainte-Thérèse, Quebec Canada from 1993 to 2002. The 2010 Camaro is assembled in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, about a half hour drive from where I live.
Paul
1967 RS Convertible

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 07:09:45 PM »
How can you say it is a canadian icon?  This is a 1st gen site Canada only produced the models nobody cares about, anyway.  I'm glad Canada has had some jobs building the unimportant camaros but the 1st gens were created and built in the good ol USA. If the 010 model is supposed to represent or celebrate the 1st gen then, I think GM's upper management has come up short again on the location of the manufacturing (which is also the same guys who drove it into bankruptcy). Please tell me if im wrong for wanting to support my country by purchasing products built here so that me and my fellow Americans will have a job.

Balaclava

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 04:37:53 AM »
Why does an icon have to be manufactured in a particular country? Look at the Statue of Liberty. It is a huge American icon but it was designed and manufactured in France. I have always liked the fourth generation Camaro better than the second and third. If nobody cares about the fourth generation then why is it so popular on some forums. At http://www.camaroforums.com the fourth gen forums have more posts and threads than all other generations combined.
Paul
1967 RS Convertible