Author Topic: Correct Seat Belts???  (Read 6184 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Correct Seat Belts???
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:43:56 AM »
Has the Seat Belt report been updated recently?   I have an 11A -67 Camaro Coupe built in LOS, I actually think the car was built the first day of Nov. due to the A638 code in upper right corner.   Anyhow, my question is,   The seat belts are ROBBINS   1967   MODEL# 310 front, and #311 rear.   Date Code 40D66.   I have read your report on Seat Belts, and it states that ROBBINS seat belts were used in other Chevrolet lines but not in the Camaro.    These belts appear in every way to be what was original to the car, could they be correct?   The car has been in my family for the past 21 years, and they were not changed during that time.   And it just doesn't seem to make sense that someone would go to the trouble of changing out Seat Belts and coming up with the correct date codes.   I'm finding almost everything else on the the car is coding out correct.   Thanks for any help!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Correct Seat Belts???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:47:13 AM »
Those are not the original belts. Robbins was never installed in a 67-9 Camaro and the model #'s are incorrect.
Kurt S
CRG

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 04:04:46 PM »
Thanks Kurt, I really respect your opinion.   And I completely understand that there is an industry standard.   But, I live in an area where there is a GM plant within 90 miles, and a Chrysler plant within 50 miles.  And I am an avid Car enthusiast(I attend a lot of car events), I have talked to people who have worked at these plants, and have heard stories of how incorrect parts get into vehicles.  I have a friend who installed Glass in the Chrysler plant and he has told me how several different Date Codes would get on one rack.   I have personally seen (in the late 70's) a Brand New Chevy truck delivered to the owner with GMC Sierra emblems on the side.  And I've heard other stories.   Bottom line, considering the condition of both the car and the belts, and the fact that nearly everything else on this car codes out correct, I really believe these belts were original to the car.   They are a complete matched set, and I believe that the Date codes would be correct.(approx. 3 to 4 weeks before the car build date)   The belt lenghts are even correct, per your report.   Do you know what these belts should have been installed in?   Was that car line also built at the Van Nuys plant during this time period?   With respect!!!  Mike
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »
Mike, that would be a strange thing to happen, but not that strange! :) Full size cars (which recieved the Robbins) were made at Van nuys on the same line as Camaros.  The line worker would have had to grab from the wrong belt bin.  Are ALL of your belts (front & rear) robbins with the same date codes? Does your outside front belts have a retractor? or is it just a belt?

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
All of the belts are a complete matched set, all 4 date codes the same(40D66).   The 2 front are Model # 310 and the 2 back are Model # 311(IRVINGS would have been #210 and #211)    There are no retractors on these belts, which would have been correct for the early build date(11A).   And as I stated before even the length is correct, they have the Fisher Coach emblem on the standard buckle which I believe is also correct.   The back of the buckle has a part  ROBBINS-JR-6704.   Maybe this helps more, Thanks!!   Mike
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
 Hi Kevin, I was giving this some more thought.    I worked on Assembly lines when I was younger, and at one point I was a Assembly line Serviceman, and I remember times when I was told to go get just a "hand-ful" of parts to finish up a run of something.    I also remember times that a "change-over" was done, and a part didn't get changed, and didn't get caught until it reached the inspection area.    Anything like this could explain.    Thanks again!   Mike
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 04:03:37 AM »
I don't recognize that model #.
To help with your theory, you need to find a few early 67 LA full-size cars and find out the belt #'s.
Kurt S
CRG