Author Topic: Leaf Spring Scuff Pad Replacement  (Read 3578 times)

DanZ10

• View Profile
Leaf Spring Scuff Pad Replacement
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:33:08 PM »
I'm in the middle of restoring the original multi-leafs on a '69. The kit from Ricks has a correct size spring pad set (the pads that go between each leaf), but the "raised" portion is wrong (as denoted on the box). Their instructions say to trim the raised portion and EPOXY the pad to the spring. I'm thinking there must be a better way.

1. Anyone know of a "correct" replacement leaf spring pad available anywhere?
2. Anyone tried Plastic Welding additional material to the pads to fill in the larger indention in the spring?
3. If you went the glue/epoxy route....what type glue or epoxy did you use? What were your results? How are they holding up under use?

A search of previous posts didn't reveal any lessons learned....... Any advice/experience would be appreciated!!! Thanks[/b][/b]

Dusk Blue Z

• View Profile
Re: Leaf Spring Scuff Pad Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »
I went through the same thing last Fall. I found the correct Parts at SEMA last year. Look on page three of the link.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/LeafSpringAccessoriesApplicationGuide.pdf

I don't remember what part number I ordered, just give them a call. The parts are spot on to the originals. I have no clue why these would not be in the spring rebuild kits for a 1st gen.

Mike
Mike

1969 Z/28 Legends Certified
1969 Z-10 Under Construction

DanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:19 PM »
Thanks Mike....exactly what I needed.
Dan

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
Dan-
About 15 years ago I ran into the same thing with the spring pads from Rick's, and they had no instructions on how to fit them - they told me I was on my own.  So, I carefully trimmed them and epoxied them into place - funny they are telling people to do that now.  Anyhow, they are holding up well, but the vehicle has only seen about 2 miles since I rebuilt the springs. :)
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17