Author Topic: New To CRG 69-Z28 Question  (Read 5281 times)

Bdblu

• View Profile
New To CRG 69-Z28 Question
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »
I recently purchased a 1969 Z28 with a DZ302, M20-trans and 12bolt 3:73 rear end.  The car is a 12/69 build and its Hugger Orange but should be #79 Rally Green.  Lately I've been trying to confirm the blocks casting date. I practically went spelunking underneath, on top with mirrors and lights, I give up.  I did however find some numbers on the block just above the oil filter.  In one section there is the "N48", below the N48 is 371 and below that is 386.  From the research I have done here these don't seem to be casting numbers.  I would really appreciate anyone thoughts about these numbers.
Thanks, bw

JohnKY

• View Profile
Re: New To CRG 69-Z28 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »
The block casting number is on the block bellhousing flange, (drivers side). Top of the block, towards the firewall.

The casting date is also on the bellhousing flange, on the passenger side.

If it is too difficult to see them, use play dough, or plumbers putty to press an impression, and read it that way.

Bdblu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:49:06 AM »

Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling I need to remove the hood to get a better angle at it.  Still wondering about the numbers though.  It seems odd that there is tons of info about block numbers on this site but no mention of these particulars numbers and their meaning.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling I need to remove the hood to get a better angle at it.  Still wondering about the numbers though.  It seems odd that there is tons of info about block numbers on this site but no mention of these particulars numbers and their meaning.

Most of the 2- and 3-digit numbers you'll find on the block are foundry pattern numbers, and occasionally a pattern number will be accompanied by the last three digits of the block casting number it's associated with; the "386" you noted is most likely the derivative of a 3932386 block casting number, which you'll find on the rear flange of the block, just forward of where the bellhousing bolts up, behind the driver's side cylinder head, visible from above.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Bdblu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks for that info JohnZ!

Bdblu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
Ok Thanks for the help I have found the casting number and I believe the casting date.  Since the car was built the 2nd week of December it seems to me "K" November for a casting date could be correct.  Again a newbie here, so your opinions are appreciated!

3932386 Casting Number on Flange Drivers Side

K268 Casting Date? Found on Flange Passenger Side

Bdblu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »

I have verified that my block casting date is Nov 26, 1968 from this number (k268).  This number is stamped on the front pad V1212DZ.   These two numbers seem to correlate correctly.  My Z is a 12B 2nd week of December 1968.  It would appear that my Z has its original engine, of course I'm not the original owner so I can't prove without a doubt.

Thanks for all of your help!
-bw