Author Topic: Tire Question  (Read 5543 times)

Camaro Billy

• View Profile
    • 1969 RS/SS
Tire Question
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
Does anyone know if the Coker Firestone F-70 14 Redline tires are correct for a 02D build '68 SS ?
Thanks for the help,
Billy
1969 RS/SS 350/300 Rallye Green . Black Vinyl Top

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »
I am not 100% sure which tire supplier was being used at that point in time for the SS, but I know that Firestones were used on some of the early cars in the 68 model year. My Dad's 68 SS he bought new in November of 67 had Firestone redlines on it. Somewhere around here I have some pictures showing the car when he bought it new and the Firestone can be seen in the sidewall. He removed the factory steel wheels within a few days and replaced them with Cragar G/T's but he had the factory redlines mounted on them. Come to think of it I have a complete set of wheels with original white stripe tires from a drum brake 68 that was a February built car, and I think they are Firestones or Uniroyals, not sure, but I'll check them tomorrow.................Maybe some of the others can chime in........................RatPack.............
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

sshippe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:23:43 AM »
I have a Feb 68 build SS/RS and it has them called out on the window sticker.  In the trunk was an original tire and it's a Firestone F70 14 redline

chevyman555

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:50:03 AM »
I have looked at the Coker red lines (for my 67 Z-28) and noted that the (black) lettering on the tires is upside down - that is, the tops of the lettering all face the rim as opposed to the outside tread of the tire. Is that correct?  Does anyone have any pics of original redlines they can share?

Thanks

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:45:58 AM »
The only Firestone tires that I have seen with the tops of the lettering towards the outside of the tire were the Wide Ovals. All other Firestone tires had the tops of the lettering towards the wheel. You can see in this picture taken in 1967 of my Dad's 66 Chevelle that the tops of the lettering is towards the wheels. He filled them in with white paint as they were just plain blackwalls, but were the original tires on the car put on those Cragar G/T wheels..............RatPack...................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

sshippe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
I compared the Coker tire on a friends 68 SS/RS to the original redline spare in my 68.  The location of the redline is different, it's closer to the rim, or in other words it has a smaller diameter.  It just never looked right to us so we measured them and they are different.  My understanding is that the Coker mold is from around 1971, after the location of the redline was changed.

chevyman555

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:16:06 AM »
Thanks everyone!

anything