Author Topic: Possible Matching Number MO Block Surfaced, What Are the Odds?  (Read 13514 times)

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
Ok, Here we go. This may very well be a scam. Believe me, I am a skeptic. A seller on ebay listed that he had been stashing a bunch of original MO blocks. So, I ask him if any of them have original VIN stamps. He says it will take some time to gather the information. Here is a link to his items for sale: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/thegmparts_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZ

Here is the dialog copied and pasted:

Me:
Hi, I am looking for my original MO 302. Do any of yours have the VIN stamped on them?

Him:
yes what is the last 6 of your vin you are looking for ,thanks the old engine shop

Me:

Him:
the old engine shop here i have been taking and collecting over 300 special hi performance engines all have aluminum intakes over 20 18n ????? 302s #678 casting V1212MO---V0715MO ,s WHAT VIN ARE YOU LOOKING FOR I WILL CHECK IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO PULL MANY MANY ENGINES FROM THE RACKS THANKS

Me:
Thanks

Him:
on this 18N400928 V0314MO i have 8 early engines we are in the process of re building starting with 302900 up 307272,3132305,3240214,333272,335126,362363, to 362367 and will look just like this one went done THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST

Of course, I was excited to see that a possible match is on the list. But, I am also a little worried because I provided the 6 digits. I did not give a production date for the car so I am waiting to find out the specifics about the casting date and V****MO number. Does anybody know this seller in Indiana? The crazy thing is, I know for a fact my car spent some time in Illinois and Indiana. There is no way I would even consider a purchase without seeing and posting pictures of the block stampings on this website and getting a blessing from all. One thing that bothers me is that some of the vin numbers listed have 7 digits instead of 6. He did provide  phone number. Thanks for the advice.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Possible Matching Number MO Block Surfaced, What Are the Odds?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:44:20 AM »
In my opinion, it's a scam...   :(

1)  He received negative feedback on a similar item "Z28 302 COMPLETE ENGINE DZ COPO1969 CAMARO WITH VIN19L (#190270680264)" from buyer "chevyz28muscle" who wrote in regards to the item "Parts were not what they were told to be serial numbers changed !!! I GOT RIPPED".

2)  He received negative feedback from seller "ccsi2000" on item #4601626831 who wrote "BEWARE OF THIS EBAYER THE INTAKE MANIFOLDS ARE REPRO's NOT ORIGINAL".

3)  He has changed his Ebay user id twice this year!    ::)

4)  See if he will send you good photos of the engine pad with the partial VIN and engine assembly code.  If he does, post them here for review...    ;)

5)  In one of the photos (below) from his current listing of the '68 302 it appears the block has been decked...    :-\

6)  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...    ;D

Be cautious and do your homework.  Good luck!

Paul

Larry

• View Profile
    • 1968 Camaro Z 28 Rally Sport
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »
I think that if I was going to spend that much money with this guy, I would go see the parts in person first. Ask him if you could do that and see what he says.

Larry

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
I agree. The one on ebay is not the engine. But, I find it highly suspicious that he listed the number I need. I will be inquiring about good pictures next. There are certain dates that should line up and it is harder to fake that info.

I think that if I was going to spend that much money with this guy, I would go see the parts in person first. Ask him if you could do that and see what he says.

Larry

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »
Paul, it seems your sentiment is correct. I wrote the guy through ebay that gave the negative feedback and got a very fast response. Here is what was said:

Me:
Dear chevyz28muscle,

Hi, I was inquiring about the 302 engine you bought from the seller in Indiana. He emailed me stating he had my vin on one of his blocks. Is he doing restamping on the engines? You gave him negative for ripping you off. I was reading his feedback and your comment made me skeptical that he is a scammer. Please let me know about your experience. Thanks, Todd

Him:
YES HE IS CHANGING NUMBERS SELLING ITEMS HE DOES NOT HAVE FROM OTHER ADDS IN EBAY. FROM ANOTHER EBAYER THIS GUY JUST GOT OUT OF PRISON FOR DOING THIS SAME THING AND THE POLICE ARE BUILDING A CASE ON HIM RIGHT NOW TO PUT HIM BACK IN PRISON I HAVE TALKED TO THE DETECTIVES ON WHAT HE DID TO ME
PASS THIS ON HE IS REAL BAD THE COP I TALKED TO SAID HE HAS STOLE 1.6 MILLION FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND ME...............PAS THIS ON,,THANKS

He said, pass it on. Everybody be warned.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
There is your answer.  A friend of mine bought a hood off of Ebay from him that was supposed to be NOS with the stickers on it. What arrived was a repro that came in damaged I think, and there were not any GM stickers on it. The Ebay ad clearly showed a GM hood, but he was sent something else........ I would definitely want pictures, but I doubt that is going to happen as he will make up some excuse to keep from having to send them to you. He might tell you what is stamped & cast on the block, but I doubt you will get actual pictures of the stampings...........RatPack................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:53:54 AM »
Hey Guys, just a piece of advice from a rookie. ANYTIME I see something like this, I give false info to the seller. I would say my block is special and has an extra number, and there is only 9 ever made. Then I email them 645926574 or similar. If he emails back in two days and says he has it.....well.... you know the rest. If he emails back and says, sorry I don't have it but I have some others. THEN I say my friend is also looking for his car. Then I give MY REAL block number, and go from there.........Danny

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 03:58:40 AM »
You know, I thought about that but after it was too late. I will do that from now on.

Hey Guys, just a piece of advice from a rookie. ANYTIME I see something like this, I give false info to the seller. I would say my block is special and has an extra number, and there is only 9 ever made. Then I email them 645926574 or similar. If he emails back in two days and says he has it.....well.... you know the rest. If he emails back and says, sorry I don't have it but I have some others. THEN I say my friend is also looking for his car. Then I give MY REAL block number, and go from there.........Danny

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
Kind of like going to a swap meet and asking will that fit my car, instead of what cars does that fit. If you ask will it fit my car, a dishonest seller will always say yes. I ask what is it from, or what does it fit. I can still get burned, but it happens less often.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Hot Rod Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 06:13:45 PM »
I am astounded at the lengths some will go to rip somebody else off. Or, how far some will go to fake a car. Ruins the hobby.

02undercover

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:49:54 AM »
I hate to see people fleeced of there hard earned money this way!

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 02:44:06 AM »
I know this guy, Durability Plus Engines in IN.  Tried to do the same thing to me years ago.  His response is almost identical to what he sent me.  He was in prison for scamming.  Apparently he doesn't learn from his mistakes.
68Z28

Apex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 04:37:11 AM »
A quick google search of Durability plus Engines will yield a 20 page Indiana court document.  He ripped off Camaro owners from New York to British Columbia.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 05:09:44 AM »
A quick google search of Durability plus Engines will yield a 20 page Indiana court document.  He ripped off Camaro owners from New York to British Columbia.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/06050701cld.pdf

Paul

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 03:24:24 AM »
Det. Crooks in Angola, IN is the guy I talked to about this.  Why do these people get out so quick?  I think he went in about 4 years ago.  Good behavior I guess.  He's paid his debt to society and is reformed now, right.
68Z28