Author Topic: Rattle Paint Restoration!  (Read 4966 times)

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Rattle Paint Restoration!
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
I have seen several list of the various parts and the paint colors associated with the restoration of the 1st. gen Camaros.  My question is this.....has anyone compiled a list of "Rattle Paint" manufactures and their products that closely match the colors of the original parts?  I've seen a couple of recommended paints but have never seen a comprehensive list that might cover a large spectrum of the colors needed.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with this question,
Sonet
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

Jrschev

• View Profile
Re: Rattle Paint Restoration!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:18:49 AM »
For my money DUPLI-COLOR Semi Gloss Black ENAMEL (black label on can, not LAQUER blue label) is excellent for underhood 30-40 percent gloss reduction black. It is a dead nuts match to some of the very expensive paints. It is available at NAPA.

Heartbeat City also sells a cast blast that I think is some of the nicest paint I've used. It is also rattle can but kind of pricey.

This may seem silly but order it when you know the temperature is above freezing in most of the country as I've purchased paint that was shipped in the middle of winter and the extreme cold seems to separate the components of the paint. It does not spray well and fish eyes quite a bit when it's been previously frozen.

Maybe some of the paint experts can explain this.
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
Jerry McNeish's 69 Z/28 book lists the spray can paint Manufacturers and the part numbers to use for different gloss percentages realtive to the different parts on the car.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:27:35 AM »
The only rattle we use now (soon to be none) is PlastiKote 285, Rebuilder's Gray.  Similar in color to the Cast Blast, says it's chem-resistant.  Haven't tested that, though.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com