Author Topic: fuel pump gasket is leaking oil  (Read 10550 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
fuel pump gasket is leaking oil
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:37:16 PM »
I have a oil leak via my fuel pump on my '69 camaro. I was going to do this job myself (first timer) and possibly replace the entire fule pump?? Mechanic wants 172.00 for the entire fix!

Any thoughts as to replacing the pump?
 Any special do-not's or any special upgrade in fuel pump advice would be appreciated.

thanks again,

Nick p.

GIBSTER

• View Profile
Re: fuel pump gasket is leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:29:11 AM »
Do  run the bolt in that holds the pin from the cam in place. Do not  forget to back it out when your done. get a book with pics,and use a line wrench. It's not too hard.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 02:34:06 AM by GIBSTER »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »
First, make sure you know where the oil is really coming from; I see lots of cars that don't have the bolt in the top front boss right around the corner from the fuel pump on the front of the block, and leakage from there coats the fuel pump. If that bolt is missing, it takes a 3/8"-16 x 1/2" bolt with thread sealer on it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
Okay..thanks for the advice on the fuel pump JohnZ and Gibster.

The screen shot helps and the pump is exactly what mine is.

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 12:21:20 AM »
also sometimes oil can leak out of the vent holes that are in the fuel pump itself-(sometimes gas also can leak out of these holes(of course the pump is bad)--also on the fuel pump rod you can use and old hacksaw blade to hold it up or on a cold engine grease will help hold it also