Author Topic: Master cylinder restoration  (Read 13867 times)

MRPENNYPKR

• View Profile
Re: Master cylinder restoration
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »
Just my 2 cents.   I have used silicone in several restorations over the past 10 years with excellent results, and would highly recommend it for all installations (with proper precautions for glycol conversions).  The satisfaction of wiping up a spill from the inner fender and not removing all of the paint can’t be beat!  Why risk it?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 02:49:37 AM »
DOT 5 Silicone fluid does not enhance in any way the braking effectiveness of your system. It is a fluid and simply transfers motion. You could actually use water, oil, or even grapefruit juice to do the same job but it goes without saying the ancillary problems would be significant.

Trust me, you don't want to use grapefruit juice.  The pulp causes havoc in the brake system!     :D

Paul

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 02:57:08 AM »
So living in Kentucky and keeping my car in and insulated garage...would I be okay with silicone brake fluid.  This thread has been very informative:)

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »
DOT 5 Silicone fluid does not enhance in any way the braking effectiveness of your system. It is a fluid and simply transfers motion. You could actually use water, oil, or even grapefruit juice to do the same job but it goes without saying the ancillary problems would be significant.

Trust me, you don't want to use grapefruit juice.  The pulp causes havoc in the brake system!     :D

Paul

Oh, no problem. Go to the market and get the "without pulp" type juice. It costs more but then you won't have the pulp plugging everything.

Your car would be fine with Silicone living in the Blue Grass state or any state for that matter. Go for it!
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed