CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 11:12:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103692 Posts in 12182 Topics by 4697 Members
Latest Member: greygoose01
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  Master cylinder restoration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: Master cylinder restoration  (Read 5178 times)
MRPENNYPKR

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »

Just my 2 cents.   I have used silicone in several restorations over the past 10 years with excellent results, and would highly recommend it for all installations (with proper precautions for glycol conversions).  The satisfaction of wiping up a spill from the inner fender and not removing all of the paint canít be beat!  Why risk it?
1968RSZ28

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

DOT 5 Silicone fluid does not enhance in any way the braking effectiveness of your system. It is a fluid and simply transfers motion. You could actually use water, oil, or even grapefruit juice to do the same job but it goes without saying the ancillary problems would be significant.

Trust me, you don't want to use grapefruit juice.  The pulp causes havoc in the brake system!     Cheesy

Paul
Gambitt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »

So living in Kentucky and keeping my car in and insulated garage...would I be okay with silicone brake fluid.  This thread has been very informative:)
Jrschev

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 07:42:41 AM »

DOT 5 Silicone fluid does not enhance in any way the braking effectiveness of your system. It is a fluid and simply transfers motion. You could actually use water, oil, or even grapefruit juice to do the same job but it goes without saying the ancillary problems would be significant.

Trust me, you don't want to use grapefruit juice.  The pulp causes havoc in the brake system!     Cheesy

Paul

Oh, no problem. Go to the market and get the "without pulp" type juice. It costs more but then you won't have the pulp plugging everything.

Your car would be fine with Silicone living in the Blue Grass state or any state for that matter. Go for it!

1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: