Author Topic: Missing engine VIN  (Read 9093 times)

craybaby

• View Profile
Missing engine VIN
« on: October 24, 2005, 01:15:22 AM »
'69 Z28...Forgive me if this has been covered before but am new to the life. I have a spare engine block that came with a beautiful restoration. The spare block was reported to be the original block but another DZ engine is in the car to save the original. Casting #s all make sense for type of block and build date as an engine about a month older than the car. HOWEVER, where I am expecting a vehicle specific VIN, there is only build data ( VO829DZ ). There are no numbers near the oil filter. 1. Am I screwed?
2. If someone was going to re-stamp a shaved pad is there any reason why they would not include a sequence #?
Thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Missing engine VIN
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »
They'd probably leave the VIN derivative stamp off so it could be added later, depending on what car they were going to install the motor in, or sell it and let the buyer add the VIN to match his car.  :(
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

DanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 07:29:52 PM »
Unless there is some reason you think it may be a restamp, there's no reason to assume it is. Some blocks just didn't get the VIN stamped. Why don't you post a picture of your pad and let the forum give you their opinion?

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »
You might not find the vin stamp at the rough casting untill it gets hot tanked. Thats a tough spot to get a good impression and was often light and this gave rise to the "some blocks didnt get stamped" theory.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

Leonard1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 02:06:46 PM »
I have a DZ block that was like that.  I couldn't make it out at all until it was hot tanked.

GHZone1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 12:58:10 AM »
My block was like that also,  Even after Hot tanking mine it is still hard to read.

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 01:16:14 AM »
My block was like that also,  Even after Hot tanking mine it is still hard to read.

Also make sure that area around the oil filter is free of all paint and debris,as in hot tanked, then with the area in ? facing up try using a 10X mag glass with a strong light source.
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

anything