Author Topic: 67 camaro dome lights not working  (Read 8684 times)

knightmoose

• View Profile
67 camaro dome lights not working
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »
67 camaro std coupe dome lights use to work but no longer do has been a couple years since they have been on after 2 deployments to Iraq etc, its probally been about 5 years since i have seen them on.

Anyways i did the obvious 1st bought new bulbs still doesnt work

Bought new door jamb switches, doesnt work

Ok, i now used a test light, when checking the wires to the back of the light fixtured as there are 2 in the car both have power when disconnecting the door jamb switch and checking the wire that plugs into the door jamb switch the wire the test light doesnt light up,

my question at this point is do the wires that connect to the door jamb switch are they suppose to be continuously hot at all times and the door switch acts as a ciccuit breaker? next question is if the dome fixtures are hott and the lights still arent coming on, what could be the problem, the socket pigtails themselves?

I have thought about the socket pigtails but both sides dont work, any suggestions?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 camaro dome lights not working
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
my question at this point is do the wires that connect to the door jamb switch are they suppose to be continuously hot at all times and the door switch acts as a ciccuit breaker?

The orange wire to each courtesy light and the dome light is hot all the time, and the white wire is the system ground; when you open the doors (or turn the headlight switch knob fully counter-clockwise), the pin switches in the door jambs ground the white wire side of the circuit, which turns the lights on. The wiring diagram is at the end of UPC 12 in the Assembly Manual.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

knightmoose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:13:35 AM »
the lights doom lights dont turn on at all on either side, both sockets in both doom lights are both hott, but arent ellimuinating the bulbs, i have tried many new bulbs and still nothing, how is it possible that the bulbs at the sockets  dont illuminate if the sockets are always hott?

qwertyme77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:52:03 AM »
The problem is that unlike what we all think of as a correct circuit, (that is putting the switch before the bulb), the dome light circuit has the switch AFTER the bulb. The problem is that neither the pin switches or (I assume) the headlight switch is completing the circuit to ground. I would suggest you find where the white wire has a connector, and then ground it. If the bulb lights, then you need to find where the bad connection and/or ground is.  good luck.

paul.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:30:26 AM »
67 deluxe has a connector in the trunk. You may want to check that.

knightmoose

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
i grounded the white wire at 1 of the sockets in the rear with the bulb in it and it lit up, this there is an open circut some where, where would the connecteor be in the trunk? Or is the problem up front some place under the dash etc?

anything