Author Topic: Rebuild or Replace Engine and Transmission  (Read 6236 times)

Tvitzelio

• View Profile
Rebuild or Replace Engine and Transmission
« on: March 11, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of begining the restoration of a 1968 Camaro.  It was my grandmother's car and has not been running since 1985. For the most part the car is in good shape with the exception of some rust on the roof and several pounds of rat droppings under the dash board.  I am going to do some of the restoration myself (interior, body work and electrical) but my big question is what to do with the engine and transmission.  It is the original matching numbers engine for the car a 327. My question is should I just have the engine and transmission rebuild or should I have them replaced?  I am not look to race or show the car, I am just looking to have a nice clean driver.  Budget is a consideration so that is why I would like some advice. Is it more expensive to rebuild an engine or to buy a new one and what would you recommend.

Any insights or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild or Replace Engine and Transmission
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 05:10:40 PM »
You can buy a GM crate motor for less than the cost of a full rebuild, but what you have may not need a full rebuild at all, and I'd want the original engine in it if it was mine; get it running first and check it out (compression test, leakdown test, tune-up, etc.) and see what you've got.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:30:55 PM »
Keep the origional motor...rebuild it and then u get this feelin about you car knowing that its all origional
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:40:50 PM »
I would also vote for keeping the original engine / transmission combination.  Depending on where you live, a complete engine rebuild (including balancing and blueprinting) is not any more than a new crate motor, in my area (Reno, NV) easily less.  Transmission rebuild (if needed) is entirely different.  Depending on what tranny you have, expertise to properly work on a 38 yr old tranny is often, in my experience, harder to come by than a competent engine rebuilder.

In any event, good luck and enjoy your ride!
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 02:15:18 AM »
Yes, take John's advice, get it running and see what you've got.
If it turns out to be a piece of junk, that's a different story.  And what Rich69rs said is also true in the southeast.
If we are really Camaro lovers, we need to preserve them as best we can. 

Either way, you've got the potential for a great, classic ride! ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director