Author Topic: VIN plate color  (Read 11532 times)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
VIN plate color
« on: March 11, 2006, 07:58:26 AM »
I'm moving toward the point in the restoration of my 68 Camaro where its time to paint the interior. At some point in the past the interior was paint a variation of Lemans Blue and so was the VIN plate. My question is was the VIN plate painted interior color(light blue) or were they all black and installed after the interior was painted? Additionally were the trim tags painted black after they were installed on the firewall? I've seen some that were silver in color what's the correct color?

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
Re: VIN plate color
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 07:57:42 PM »
My 69 plate is black as is the dash.  But...the back of the rivets are still shiny.  Leads me to believe the plate was painted black before installlation to the dash.  Checked my Nova also, it is the same way.  Dave

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »
68-69 VIN plates appear to have been dipped painted black after stamping. They were then supposed to painted with the top of the dash in the same suede finish and color prior to installation. This does not appear to have always taken place and is most noticeable on non-black interior cars. I have seen green, blue and red interior cars with black and matching color plates.
Learning more and more about less and less...

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 11:28:03 PM »
Didn't the dash area get painted at Fisher before going to the Chevrolet side for VIN assignment?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 05:28:07 PM »
Didn't the dash area get painted at Fisher before going to the Chevrolet side for VIN assignment?

Yes - the upper instrument panel was painted by Fisher Body. I don't recall the Norwood VIN plate paint process specifically, but the Impala/Caprice plants (which used the same VIN plate) painted the VIN plate on the Chevrolet side of the plant after stamping it and prior to installation. My 02D '69Z has the Midnight Green interior, and the VIN plate is also green.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 03:03:22 AM »
John,
Am I reading your post correctly.The VIN was painted interior color someplace else and then installed after the dash was painted?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »
John,
Am I reading your post correctly.The VIN was painted interior color someplace else and then installed after the dash was painted?

Yes, in a Fisher/Chevrolet plant like Norwood - the upper dash was painted in the main Fisher Body paint shop, and the VIN plate wasn't installed until about three shifts later in the Chevrolet plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 06:22:13 PM »
That would explain why the tag was not always painted to match the dash top. I know of a fathom green/midnight green 69 with a black VIN tag.
Learning more and more about less and less...

PACE&Z2869

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »
This is interesting stuff! Whoever painted the VIN plate dash color, how did they know what color the interior was to be? 
PACE&Z2869

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 07:31:03 AM »
Via the broadcast sheet.
Kurt S
CRG

anything