CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 09:49:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97196 Posts in 11690 Topics by 4578 Members
Latest Member: ronhill
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Vinyl or Not?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you like the look of a Vinyl Roof on a First Generation Camaro?
Yes, if original - 102 (57%)
Yes, original or not - 40 (22.3%)
No, even if original - 10 (5.6%)
No, no matter what - 12 (6.7%)
Maybe, depends on color - 15 (8.4%)
Total Voters: 176

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All Print
Author Topic: Vinyl or Not?  (Read 46981 times)
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:25:50 PM »

I've heard pro and con on vinyl roofs for the first generation Camaro.
What do you think?

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair -- presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA -- is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast." --September 18-21, 2014
MMMM_ERT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:36:24 AM »

I don't care for it so much.  MY car had it when I bought it, but I removed it when we restored/restified her.

I've only heard bad things with the vinyl roofs...rust etc.

1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe
dab67

67 SS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 06:13:30 AM »

I have a 67 SS with Vinyl roof and it looks great!!!!!!!!! haven't had any concerns with rust as of yet. And if I do, I'll pull the top, repair what needs to be repaired and put a new Vinyl on.

dab67
drdave69

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:10:39 AM »

If the car originally had one, leave it on or replace it when restoring. I think they look great.
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 04:04:15 PM »

MMMM ERT, did your car have rust when you removed the vinyl and was it at the bottom of the back window (like most 60s chevys) or elsewhere?

Dab67, what colors? Post us a picture...

Drdave, as you can see my car has a vinyl roof.  The fellow who had it before me put it on and did a great job.  But my trim tag says YY, so its not original.  Still, everybody tells me that Butternut Yellow looks better with black vinyl.  The next time I have it painted, I need to decide whether to take it back to original.  That's the reason for my poll.

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
"Charlotte AutoFair -- presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA -- is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast." --September 18-21, 2014
MMMM_ERT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 04:36:27 PM »

MMMM ERT, did your car have rust when you removed the vinyl and was it at the bottom of the back window (like most 60s chevys) or elsewhere?

There was some slight surface rust under the vinyl in spots all over the roof.   ...and yes, the rear window tray had rust which is standard for any 1st gen.    Fortunetely, my car was an original Cali car and rust damage was minor.    The trunk pan was totally rotted out, had to replace it...someone left water in there.

I don't dislike the vinyl look...but I prefer 1st gens without it.  Wink

69 4 Speed

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 01:43:49 AM »

I came close to not putting the vinyl top back on my 69 but am glad that I did now.  I wanted to go Hugger Orange with white stripes but ended up replacing the black vinyl to top to maintain it's originality.  Just wished that I had'nt put that rear spoiler on it.
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 07:54:25 PM »

MMMM ERT,
Was it much trouble (beyond the rust) preparing the roof for painting?
I've know guys would did away with their vinyl, but never heard them talk about sanding the roof to get it ready to paint.
Thanks for the info. Grin

Please vote!!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 07:56:20 PM by lakeholme » Logged

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
dab67

67 SS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 06:04:56 AM »

lake:

My car is Royal Plum with a White Vinyl (M-1) SS350 with SS hood and white stripes, black standard interior, powerglide with console and gauges. As soon as I can get a decent picture of it in the sunshine and no snow (Wisconsin here) I will try an post it. Car is basically stock except for headers I just put on. 

dab67
MMMM_ERT

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 01:31:58 PM »

MMMM ERT,
Was it much trouble (beyond the rust) preparing the roof for painting?
I've know guys would did away with their vinyl, but never heard them talk about sanding the roof to get it ready to paint.
Thanks for the info. Grin

Please vote!!!

Honestly, paint and body work is BLACK MAGIC to me...I let the body shop take care of it.  I know it wasn't too bad...the hardest part was getting the roof perfectly smooth for paint.

lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »

Thanks for the posts!  I've been out of town a few days, but now I can see a pattern to the voting.

Please vote!

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
vmdoc2106

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 10:09:09 PM »

i have already voted on this, so now i guess this is just my opinion.  some colors look good with a vinyl top.  some colors don't.  i just found out alot of information about my 67 camaro.  it was purchased in dire need of repair 18 years ago with my understanding that it was an RS with a vinyl top.  after decoding and all that, i found out it is a base model butternut yellow without a top.  not a bad color, but the black top would look alot better in my opinion.  maybe if it was a diiferent color...i.e. black, red or blue, vinyl probably not
ChevyThunder

race935
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 06:34:01 AM »

I asked this same question about m own car that is Daytona Yellow with a black vinyl top. At first I really wanted to not put the top on. But after asking this same question onTeam Camaro and paying more attention to cars with vinyl tops I started to appreciate the unique style of the top. I am now in the middle of a frame off on the car and am definitely putting the top back on.

1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »

I guess that is an important point.  First, yellow cars do look good with black vinyl.  Second, vinyl is a 60s and 70s look.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 11:14:18 AM by lakeholme » Logged

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
sumrtime68rs

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 01:15:51 AM »

My 68 R/S is tuxedo black with a black vinyl top and pearl parchment deluxe interior. It'll be done in about two weeks and the top looks cool because of the continuing "beltline" stainless moldings. Also, my dad used to run an upholstery shop and he pointed out that the factory didn't put a lot of time into the roof bodywork due to the soft backing of vinyl tops which hides many small imperfections. My upper quarter seams show the lead areas along with many little waves etc. It's a bunch more body work (which I hate) that you have to pay for if you delete the top. I voted to keep a factory top vinyl if it came that way. Besides, we all keep our cars in out of the rain right? ;-) Dan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: