Author Topic: Quarter Glass Chrome  (Read 3407 times)

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
Quarter Glass Chrome
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:54:58 AM »
I purchased replacement chrome and rubber for my new quarter windows from PS Auto glass. The chrome has a different curvature from the glass. I am having one heck of a time trying to get the chrome and rubber insert on the glass. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Quarter Glass Chrome
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:42:41 AM »
Repo glass and trim curvature different than OEM is an ongoing dilemma. Does the trim have more or less of an arch than the glass? Check your old trim and see if it's more the glass or the trim causing the problem. Hard to tell without seeing it.

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
The trim has less curve than the glass. The glass is from PS Auto Glass in Chicago, recommended by Jerry. Very nice glass, so I am assuming the glass is right and the trim is wrong. I've heard lots of complaints about replacement glass not having the correct curvature.

The glass I removed was replacement glass.

I don't think there is any way to bend the trim without damaging it. Perhaps there is a better source for the trim? (I purchased from Rick's.)

Thanks for your help!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
Ah yes, assumptions about correctly manufactured aftermarket parts. Let's say the glass is right and Rick's won't take it back your molding ( they should, but probably not if you tell them it won't fit aftermarkrt glass). Make a jig to support either end firmly and put it in a press and press the center (using a protective wrapping block) to achieve the proper arch. Or have your old ones rechromed. Or ask me to look in my stock. I may have an extra very nice pair. 

anything