Author Topic: Parts to buy  (Read 13495 times)

mjbake

• View Profile
Parts to buy
« on: December 19, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »
Is there a favorite site to purchase parts? I have tried Ricks for a fuel line and a heater core and the parts were NOT a perfect match. Is this just something to expect on purchases. I would like to add a rt mirror and a rear spoiler but I am worried the parts will not compliment the original shape "Herbie" is in now, very original. "Herbie" is my '67 RS Convertible named in honor of my father, not a VW.

Thanks for the help.
Mike
67 L30/M20
Convertible

Buddy

• View Profile
Re: Parts to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
Search ebay for NOS parts, also heartbeatcity.com has many NOS parts, they are much cheaper than Rick's on OEM parts. Aftermarket parts are never perfect, I spent thousands of dollars collecting NOS parts for my car. :-[

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »
I would like to add a rt mirror and a rear spoiler but I am worried the parts will not compliment the original shape "Herbie" is in now, very original.

The rear spoiler is still available at your local GM dealer.  Part number = 3916633.     :)

Paul

detfox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:32:33 PM »
Search ebay for NOS parts, also heartbeatcity.com has many NOS parts, they are much cheaper than Rick's on OEM parts. Aftermarket parts are never perfect, I spent thousands of dollars collecting NOS parts for my car. :-[
I concure, Heartbeatcity (.net) is a very good resource.  Buddy is 100% correct NOS is the best, but if you're like me and the dollars aren't there, then repo's are your only option.  I live close to Classic Industries and have been somewhat unhappy with some of OER repo products, so I found that it depends on what you are looking for.  Good luck!

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »
I live close to Classic Industries

That's funny, I live 1/2 mile from Goodmark Industries.

The Qtr Panels these guys sell are pure crap. Original GM qtr's are like gold if you can find them. Trim parts are easier to live with. I also live near Auto Metal Direct which is a mopar repro company that is producing a 1stgen camaro subframes,  www.autometaldirect.com , I think they plan on making camaro qtrs etc.. we'll see.

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »
Small block, big block, a/c or non-a/c?
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

mjbake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
I have the 327 with no A/C
Mike
67 L30/M20
Convertible

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
Heater core for non a/c small block car should be GM part#19132000 still available from your GM dealer. Let me know , I will sell at wholesale pricing. Thanks, Cory.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 04:50:05 AM »
In my opin, stay away from Rick's unless you absolutely have to go there. They've been bought out and the prices are full retail and outrageous, as is their shipping. You can get the same stuff from Modern Muscle (a division of Modern Chevrolet) in Winston-Salem, NC for 5-20% less than at Rick's. My 2 cents.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
Yes to Hotrod's comment about Classic Muscle through the Modern group.  I've been in their warehouse several times and it is well stocked.  I've found them easy to work with and knowledgeable.  Of course, there will always be someone who has had a bad experience if the place does much volume.  Modern's body shop is doing some work for me on one of my classic cars right now.  They actually have a GM restorer on their staff.

And Buddy is certainly right about NOS, but you often have to be patient, ask good questions (to the dealer after you've asked on CRG) and hunt to find it.  Sadly, there are very few junk yards with original First Gen parts left. 

And of course, yes to what Cory is offering.  If you can get GM at wholesale, what a bargain!

Obviously price and shipping costs are important, but in the end most of us are looking for correct and functional.

Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:23:25 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »
Thanks Phillip, I'm not trying to turn this into a site for buying and selling. I just want to let members know that there are still plenty of original GM parts still available from there local dealer. If anyone wants to contact me with there parts needs I would be glad to help. I have access to oe connection which links us GM dealerships parts dept's together throughout the USA to maybe find that long discontinued part. My passion is 67-69 camaros, so i would be more than happy to help and offer anyone on this site wholesale pricing and fair shipping charges. I'v been a counterman for 22 years here at Polar chev. If you would like help please send me an email. Thanks,Cory.

mjbake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »
What does NOS stand for? I feel like I am missing something simple and just have brain fade.

Thanks,
Mike
67 L30/M20
Convertible

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »
New old stock.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
What does NOS stand for? I feel like I am missing something simple and just have brain fade.

Thanks,

Technically, NOS (New Old Stock) refers to parts that are the same as the original production-line parts, with the same configuration and part/casting numbers. However, the "NOS" term is blatantly mis-used most of the time on eBay for later Service replacement parts that are functional replacements, and are not necessarily configured the same as the original part they replace; these parts are more correctly termed "NORS" (New Old Replacement Stock). Many bidders get snockered by the ill-used "NOS" description, only to find out when they open the package that it's not exactly the same as the old part they need to replace; you have to know what you're buying, and don't count on the seller's description!
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
If you can still purchase the part New, then it cannot be New 'Old stock'...    It should be the part as manufactured when the cars were new, but never used, which is now a discontinued item.    As John Z says..   *most* of the parts I see advertised on TC and by the Camaro houses/sellers is NORS or 'GM Restoration parts, NOT NOS...   
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything