Author Topic: info needed 68 SS/RS 396 Hugger Orange ?  (Read 5382 times)

Dougrv6

• View Profile
info needed 68 SS/RS 396 Hugger Orange ?
« on: March 05, 2006, 06:20:04 PM »
 Hi, I have had this car for about 18 years and i an finally going to put it together. I don't know if i should try to restore it or just put it together with what i have. (everything  but shells from two 68s) I would like to know the history of this car before i start. Maybe one of you has owned this car or knows someone that has ? I have pictures but they are too large too post. Any help or comments wound be greatly appreciated. Here are the numbers, VIN. 124378L333930, Cowl Tag. O3D, ST.68-12437, LOS, Body.32717, TR.712, Paint. --, I can e-mail tag pictures if needed.  Thank You,  Doug

drdave69

• View Profile
Re: info needed 68 SS/RS 396 Hugger Orange ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 12:28:10 PM »
I don't know the car but from the info you supplied it was a V8 coupe, assembled the 4th week of March 1968 (03D), black standard bucket seat interior (712) and had special paint (- -). I doubt that it was originally Hugger Orange but you never know. I'm not sure if that was a GM color in 1968. You can look in hidden areas on the body to find what the original color was.
You didn't mention anything about having paperwork or original drivetrain to verify the SS/RS options. If it is an original SS/RS, I say restore the car.

Dougrv6

• View Profile
Re: info needed 68 SS/RS 396 Hugger Orange ?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »
The car was stripped in 84 to be a drag car, all that is left is the sheet metal. fenders,hood, deck lid w/fin and doors. it has an a/c firewall with heater outlets at right side of box, standard shift with console riv nuts in floor. tail pan was blacked out and it has orange paint every ware (i have it on a rotisserie) . no paperwork except title, but i did contact the guy that stripped it in 84. there is no rust on it anyware, but i have no drive train or interior, so i guess i will be looking for lots of parts. Thanks for the help.       Doug

anything