Author Topic: 1969 TI Ignition wiring diagram  (Read 17420 times)

Tom N

• View Profile
1969 TI Ignition wiring diagram
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:42:13 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has a diagram of how to route the wires, and where to drill the hole in the firewall if someone is installing the GM TI ignition? Site has a great write-up on the ignition system, but doesn't list a wiring diagram. Since I am just playing sround with my Camaro, I thought I might try installing one. Thanks.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 TI Ignition wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
TI was standard equipment on ZL-1 Camaros and that is where you will find the info.

If you cannot locate anything PM me and I will dig it out.
Learning more and more about less and less...

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »
Good info on this site for TI. I just installed one on my ZL1 wantabe. I used the updated circuit board from American auto wiring (a must). The car starts and runs great. Parts for this system can be very expensive. I had the distributor done by TI Specialties (they have a web site), Fine job but Expensive. Very hard to find the wire coil that goes inside the dist. Jim at TI has some repo's, the white wires have thiner insulation but it works OK. The system as on ZL1's had a vacuum pul-off that didnt have a hose (no vaccum advance) it just held the plates togther. actually took one and cut the tube off and glued in a rivet so it looked like an original one. I have since gotten a repo. Sorry for running on....

Good luck
Sam

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
One more thing, the TI is negative seeking so a in dash electric tach will not work. I dont know about aftermarket. Jim at TI know's a guy that makes a circuit that will convert the neg to positive (same thing the factory did)

Good luck
Sam

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
One more thing, the TI is negative seeking so a in dash electric tach will not work. I dont know about aftermarket. Jim at TI know's a guy that makes a circuit that will convert the neg to positive (same thing the factory did)

Not true. There were at least 2 ZL-1 Camaros built with the factory tach.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:21:31 AM by KurtS »

Tom N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:05:17 AM »
Sam, it sounds like you have done what I am wanting to do. Do you have a wiring diagram and something to show where to drill the hole in the firewall? I have been able to find new repo dists. and amps. that are quite a bit cheaper than TI Specialties. Thanks for your help!!

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »
William: True their were ZL1's built with factory tach's.They had the circuit as described installed by GM. An electric tach will work backwards with the TI ignition without this circuit.

Tom: I have info at home, I'll dig it out tonight.

Sam

Tom N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:42:10 AM »
THANKS Sam. Will I have to get one of the circuits to make a Sun tach work with the TI?

Thanks, Tom

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:22:44 PM »
Tom: I'm not sure, I would think if the Sun tach will work with electronic ign. you will be OK(the factory tach's of that year work with point set ign.). Call them and ask. Pontiac used this system more than Chev. did. I didn't get a chanch to locate the wiring diagram. I look over the long weekend. The wiring is pretty straight forward though. I got the wiring harness from American Auto Wiring. It just plugs into the module in front of the rad. support and connects to coil and dist. one white wire plugs into the fuse box ign. terminal. The harness runs along the wheel well with the other wires. It has a resistor wire so don't use the fire wall resistor. You will also need the low resistance coil I beleive it is a #210. This web site has a good description and photo's. Their was a factory installed system and a system available from GM dealers parts dept. The wiring was different I beleive. American Auto Wiring also has a pigtail for the module box if you need it and the coil wire.

Good luck
Sam

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 08:55:36 PM »
I had a JL8 Z28 that the orig owner installed GM TI setup and the tach worked just fine. I am not sure what if any modifications were needed for it to operate, but I did not see any additional wiring or modifications.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 12:33:37 AM »
I had a JL8 Z28 that the orig owner installed GM TI setup and the tach worked just fine. I am not sure what if any modifications were needed for it to operate, but I did not see any additional wiring or modifications.

The TI system needs constant 12v. The factory kit had a jumper that bypassed the resistor wire. Easy to make.

As for the tach I do not know beans about electronics. When we were doing the ZL-1 I asked one of our electronics wizard customers how the factory tach worked with the TI. He had that "dumb question" look and said "All the tach does is measure impulses to ground" like I would know what that meant. Maybe someone does.

Tom N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 03:50:59 AM »
Thanks Sam.  The write up on this site mentions drilling a 3/4" hole in the firewall for the ignition wire. Looking at some of the pictures the wire appears to have a large grommet made on it go in that 3/4" hole. Is that how you ran the wire to the fuse box, or did you go a different way? Thanks again.  Tom

hotz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »
Sam, it sounds like you have done what I am wanting to do. Do you have a wiring diagram and something to show where to drill the hole in the firewall? I have been able to find new repo dists. and amps. that are quite a bit cheaper than TI Specialties. Thanks for your help!!

May I ask where you found the dist, and amp from? Would these be the same as the crossram? and if so do they have others?  thanks

Tom N

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:16:55 AM »
Zip Products has the parts, but I'm not sure if they have the right ones for a crossram. Tom

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »
hotz: I used a corvette cast iron distributor which is what was used on the ZL1's. Though the ZL1's used the ball bearing model. I sent it to TI specialities for rebuild and conversion to ti setup. I got my amp from american auto wiring if I remember corectly. Check their web site. You will need a housing though. I got mine from e-bay for cheap cause it wasn't any good. Jim at TI specialites has new stickers for the housings as does that Osborn guy.

Tom N: My car was originally a rally sport so it had a hole for the gromett already in the fire wall. The hole was 3/4' dia. approx 1" below and 1" inboard from the lower left hand corner of the fuse box when facing the fuse box(engine side). All the rally sport stuff was long gone when I got it.The whole car was a piece of complete junk and if it wasn't a 69 Camaro someone would have been crushed it a long time ago. The only advantage is that it was from Arizona (no rust). It's pretty sweet now though. The wiring harness from Americian Auto Wiring comes with the gromet. The wire just plugs into the ign. terminal in the fuse box inside the car. I really like he TI ignition as I said before the car starts amazing and runs good. I still haven't found the wiring diagram, it's in the garage somewhere..... I try again. All it is is a copy of the instructions that came with the dealer kit.

Good luck