Author Topic: Where to find NOS or original style bolts/nuts for 1969 Camaro 12-bolt rear  (Read 11899 times)

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle here.  I am currently having my Camaro's 12-bolt rear rebuilt and I forgot to source the original bolts, nuts & split lock washers
that secure the brake backing plates to the axle tubes.  All but one snapped while being removed.  One that I saved appears to be a grade 5 "TR"
head marking fine thread bolt.  There are eight ( bolt, lock washer & nut ) sets total required; four for each side.

Where can I get these on an immediate basis?  Originality counts for me here, so I want the right parts.

Has anyone else gone through this ?  Image shows only surviving bolt and correct washer/nut.

Thanks,
Steve

69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
Well, here's an addendum to this post:

I just got off the phone with Paragon ( Corvette parts ).  They have a pretty extensive reproduction program for bolts and related hardware.

Unfortunately, they don't have these particular bolts in their inventory.  That seems strange because Vettes also used brake backing plates
on the rear ends.  But, they were disc brakes as I recall.

Still, any thoughts as to where I can locate NOS bolt inventory like this?  ???

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

copo

• View Profile
You can get these bolts from www.amk products.com, part # B-10169 , the bolts are same as except they have (E) head makings, the nuts are regular fine thread 3/8 nuts, the washers are regular 3/8 lock washers.

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
Hi COPO !

Thanks for the amkproducts.com reference.  They have a ton of stuff.  Loads more than Paragon........

I placed an order, but the head markings are wrong.  One thng at a time - huh? ;D

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

Ed Ernst

• View Profile
Steve, I might be stating the obvious, but I get a lot of this kind of stuff at our local "Pick 'n Pull" auto yards.  You might take a swing through you local yards and see what's there.
1967 SS/RS convertible - LA 12A built

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
Well,

Based on the bad condition of my originals ( badly pitted & rusted ), what do you think my chances are of getting
good ones?  I am assuming that 10-bolt & 12-bolt brake backing plate mounting bolts are the same since the plates
are the same. 

If anyone has a sacrificial rear that they gets these 8 bolts & nuts off of, I'm your man.........  ::)

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

jj69z28

• View Profile
i have gotten all of my hardware needs from ground up restorations www.ss396.com they are a primary sponsor of the camaros.net
site. give them a call they help us camaro owners get together on discussion forom like this one exchange info and such.
Rally Green 69 Z/28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
they help us camaro owners get together on discussion forom like this one exchange info and such.

Just to be clear, they are not a sponsor of the CRG site. We are a non-profit and not affiliated or sponsored by anyone except DePew Consulting who helps by hosting our site. :)  Thanks Doug!
Kurt S
CRG

jj69z28

• View Profile
my apologies kurt. i was thinking bass-acwards.
Rally Green 69 Z/28

Pex68

• View Profile
Steve,

Try Jonh at john@keefeperformance.com, he sells on eBay and might have what your looking for.

Chris.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
i have gotten all of my hardware needs from ground up restorations www.ss396.com they are a primary sponsor of the camaros.net
site. give them a call they help us camaro owners get together on discussion forom like this one exchange info and such.

I checked this site.  They do offer a bolt & nut combo for the backing plate application, but they are not technically correct.  I am real picky
about the hardware side of things as this is where a lot of restorations run into difficulties.  If I can't find them elsewhere, I'll go with these
for now.  THANKS !

Here's their offering:

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG