Author Topic: Camaro Convertible "Dead"?  (Read 5321 times)

Adz28

• View Profile
Camaro Convertible "Dead"?
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »
If gov't bailout money is used, I wonder if there will be pressure to can the Camaro altogether.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/081114-Camaro-Challenger-Convertibles-Dead/

If you've always dreamed of buying a drop-top muscle car, hit your Ford dealer now.  While a stable of retro-styled muscle coupes have excited the automotive world for the last year, the ongoing financial crisis seems to have killed the convertible versions that were supposed to provide a second act.

Motor Trend reports, "Chrysler will not offer a Dodge Challenger convertible. The car is "dead as a doornail," a source says. And the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro convertible planned for midyear 2009 is on hold."  That leaves the Mustang as the only convertible muscle car - and it's not going anywhere.  The V6 powered pony car has "been a strong seller in the Ford lineup."

Jalopnik reports that the Challenger platform was "unbelievably, not originally engineered to lose its top. So engineering a model capable of retaining its rigidity is, due to the financiapocalypse, now considered wayyy to expensive."  As for the Camaro, "Bankruptcy-imminent GM simply can't afford" to build the car "even though plans for it were built in from the beginning."

Or perhaps it was cancelled for another reason entirely. Autoblog suggests, "If the Federal bailout goes through, it's safe to assume that legislators and the public would have hard time seeing our tax dollars being used to sell a niche vehicle."

Research the best muscle cars with U.S. News' car rankings and reviews.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Camaro Convertible "Dead"?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:14:11 PM »
If you've always dreamed of buying a drop-top muscle car, hit your Ford dealer now.

You're forgetting about the Corvette.  I say "Hit your Chevrolet dealer now"...     :)

Paul

Adz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »
Whoa, wait a minute! That was a quote from the article.

Never had a Ford... Never will  :)

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:33:39 PM »
Never had a Ford... Never will  :)

That makes two of us!     ;D     ;D

Paul

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »
I wonder if the aftermarket will take over if no convertible gets made in either the new Camaro or the Challenger.  I remember there was a company that converted late 2nd gen Camaros and Firebird to convertible.  Of course they werre absoultely butt ugly, top up or down.  Those cars were not meant to be without a roof.  T-tops were as good as it got.  However, when the new 3rd gens came out, these cars screamed convertible.  GM did not make the convertibles until I believe 2006 or 2007 if I remember correctly.  However, you had companies like ASC and Greenwood (two that come to mind) that took these cars and made them convertibles.  They actually did a decent job too.  A friend of mine had an 84 Greenwood Z/28 convertible as well as I believe and 86 GTA Trans Am convertible.  In fact, with the 84 Z/28, people used to ask all the time how he got a convertible and their jaws would drop.  The coolness factor was way higher because GM had yet to make a convertible for themselves. To be honest, the quality of the convertible top was as good as if not better than what GM eventually came out with.  So, even if GM kills the rag top, I am betting you can still get one, it just will be custom and you will undoubtedly pay a few dollars more for it.  If GM officially kills the Camaro convertible, I am willing to bet there will be custom shops waiting eagerly to cut the tops off for GM.  So Adam, your dream of a new Camaro convertible is not dead yet...just going to take a little longer and cost a little more.   

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 05:50:42 PM »
Correction on my above statement.  I said "GM did not make the convertibles until I believe 2006 or 2007 if I remember correctly".  I meant to say "1986 or 1987" instead.  I knew what I meant...I just blindly typed it wrong.  Sorry.